POLITICS ATL Police Shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The LA Times has an editorial titled "Atlanta police killed a Black man for being drunk at Wendy's." https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-06-16/rayshard-brooks-defund-police

Why do people insist on doing stuff like this? The guy drove drunk, attacked two police officers, stole a taser, and then tried to use it on one of them. I'm not saying the shooting was 100% justified, but how does it benefit your case to be this disingenuous about what happened? He wasn't just drunk at a Wendy's. They didn't shoot him for being drunk at a Wendy's.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

one word: CLICKS

They cannot make money selling newspapers in LA anymore, they need those clicks. It is yellow journalism at its most primal and has been around forever and ever. Now it is just that once, perhaps, respected news entities are having to do it. Get the click or die.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah they should be fired

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The above officers or the officers from the Brooks case?

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Everything I see is just so unproductive.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Something more is going to have to start happening instead of just firing them because then the dipshits just go the next county over and get a new job.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yes.

IP likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I also don't think screaming get out of the [uck fay]ing car while approaching is a good practice either.

Cops should definitely get more training. They have an incredibly challenging job and its criminal how we prep them for the job.

Also seems like in a civics class in high school they'd go over your rights and best practices to handle being questioning by police.

Every cop should have to have a body cam.

A national database of police abuse.

After your first proven abuse claim, you lose qualified immunity. After your third proven claim of abuse, you're fired and can never serve as a cop again.

Reduce all of the bullshit laws that aren't needed, and stop using police as a revue streams for cities and government.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure why the officer who didn't shoot the guy deserves to be fired, though I haven't read anything about his response after the shooting.

I can get behind the shooter being fired. Not sure I agree that charges should be filed. I think it's reasonable for the cop to fear for his life if that taser connects. I don't think you can just let the guy run away, as he's already shown to be acting irrationally. What's to stop him from harming someone else? Don't like the idea of just having him go inside, get some food, and then get an Uber home either. What if you find out the next day that he had harmed someone while driving intoxicated prior to you letting him Uber home? The dude was drunk and asleep behind the wheel of a running vehicle. No idea why anyone would have a problem with them taking him to jail.

I don't know why anyone in the US, would sign up to be a cop nowadays.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm the opposite, lobbying Memphis to add reservists to the force, and I'll join.

Need more non-paid officers who have a role not law enforcement related in the city, on the force.

We have none.

IP likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Shooting aside, two trained officers that were unable to subdue a drunk guy and then allowed the drunk guy to steal a weapon from them are in the wrong line of work and should not be trusted with a firearm while on duty.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

In general, more members of the community involved. Localize it.

14. fl0at_

Shelby County Sheriffs have reservists. You go through the academy on weekends. Once you get you badge, you are required to do 24 hours a month.

You are not paid. Your uniforms are provided to you.

The city, however, does not have this program.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They had been talking to the guy for 25 minutes, and everything had been respectful up to that point. I'm not sure I fault them too much for being caught off guard by his abrupt decision to violently resist arrest.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What do you mean by "not law enforcement related?"

17. fl0at_

To be on force for city, you have to be a full time cop. They don't have reservists.

They need more people who aren't part of the "brotherhood" on the force. Docs, lawyers, EMS, bankers, engineers. Other people, who badge up as a service, not a career.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

A volunteer reservist is going to crack down on crime and hunt down criminals? Ok. Sounds like they would be in over their heads pretty quickly and instead of a few bad policing instances we run into 5x or 10x the issues.
    If i dont understand this idea correctly, correct me.
    If someone is gonna volunteer to do what some police have to do, arent they looking for confrontation? Who signs up unless you like the action and confrontations.
    Do you want govt military walking around like we are in Honduras?
    Support the police. Help them. Help them help themselves get better and get the bad ones out. No idea how. Stop yelling at them, spitting, and fighting them. Stop pulling weapons on them. I bet 1 zillion dollars fewer people are arrested, injured or killed.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gotcha. I can see how that could be beneficial, but I don't think there are a lot of people out there who are wanting to join the force like you.

20. fl0at_

Shelby county sheriff used to have a running 2 year wait list to get in to the academy. And the academy was only for reservists.

So I think you're wrong.

And I actually encourage you to look out to reservists for your county or city. Because it wouldn't be a bad thing for you to do.