attempted coup in Turkey

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Jul 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Anybody know anything about this?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Looks like it failed. Apparently they military did not like the Islamization (is that a word) of the government and that the President was attempting to rewrite the constitution to stay in power (until death if he had his way, as I understand it).

The President seems a dangerous dude, as he has made statements like "Democracy is like a train, you ride it till you need to get where you are going then you get off."

Listening to NPR last night, the Kurds are causing issues, the Islamisists are causing problems, the secular people are not liking it, and the whole place is a powder keg. I expect civil war by the end of the year, but we will see.

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Seems like Erdogan staged it to allow him to purge the military of western leaning officers. I don't see any way that they would've launched it without having the muzzle of a rifle shoved in his **** sucker first.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Where did you see this? Not doubting you, just haven't heard of it. I know they are demanding a cleric living in Pennsylvania to be extradited.

5. Joseph Brant

Just conjecture I came across in my reading today, to me it makes more sense than it being just sloppily executed. The military there has always been relatively autonomous of the government, seems to me to be a backhanded means for Erdogan to consolidate (more) power.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a history of this in Turkey. The military safeguards against theocracy and the erosion of democracy. Erdogan is the end of the Islamic democracy, and that was clear 5 years ago when I was there. Turkey never had a 1st amendment analog, and in the end that allowed him to control and suppress narratives.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Not hard to stay in power when you make opposition parties illegal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Wonder if anger over what happened in France was a catalyst.

9. Joseph Brant

Power to Incirlik has been cut.

10. Joseph Brant

I doubt it, Turkey has been in the "something transformative is on the verge of happening for good or bad" file for a while now.

11. Joseph Brant

Seems Sultan Erdogan is arresting just about everybody. Night of the Long Knives type stuff.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I now suspect this was orchestrated by him all along. They were ready with the names instantly.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. Might as well call Turkey as dictatorship now, and get it over with. I suspect massive revisions to the Constitution (if not outright dropping of it) soon. As sloppy as the coup was, I think it is clear this was a staged coup.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fareed Zakariah was whining the other morning about how awful it was to attempt a coup against a democratically elected government.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Getting hard to avoid this reality. Hell, I don't even think he cares how it looks to the outside world, as long as itconsolidates power internally.

16. Joseph Brant

SHAPE's statement yesterday was solidly in the tank for Erdogan. Of course I suppose we need to unless we can figure a way to get the warheads out of the country.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a Wolf Blitzer kind of stupid comment

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Seen a lot of commentary praising the people of Turkey for standing up against the military, and limiting the attempted coup's ability to execute. Is there any truth to that?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not really. They stayed home.