Bama Thoughts NSFW

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 21, 2023.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One happened because of three, in my opinion.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We also replaced Hadden with whom? Turnage? We lost our best man cover corner too and 8 struggled if he replaced him. So did Slaughter. Not sure what’s happened with him this year. We can’t play man with Lally and our 2nd/3rd string cbs, but confused dbs playing zone gave up the long TD.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

It's always fair to point out, cause we really don't know how it would have turned out, but let's just say the penalty is enforced and they don't score on that possession. It changes how both teams start calling the rest of the game. Bama got tons of momentum off that opening drive. You shut that down there and who knows how it affects the game moving forward.

Memtownvol, warhammer and IP like this.
  4. Ssmiff

This is true. Then the bs fair catch call. The game changed. Momentum and body language changed. Bama looked faster and we looked slower than the first half. Playcalling changed. 4th down calls were bad playcalls again. Milton’s play changed.
    We have to get to the point where we can overcome all of it.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That's going to leave a mark....

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know he is trespassing, but how is that not deliberately trying to injure him and thus a criminal act?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am equally amused and appalled at this hit. I am not sure that amount of violence was necessary, but it was a bama fan.

I am conflicted.

Memtownvol and VolDad like this.
  8. VanJake

VanJake Joe Milton Fan Club President

It looked like a high school kid. I guess the big man feels better now.

Memtownvol, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Even when things are as blatant as they were, some will still argue it doesn't matter.

I believe it does. It was that bad. It influenced alot of stuff, from kids to coaches. We still shit the bed, but being fed a steady diet of Ex Lax did not help.

I've seen some egregious single items (I still have nightmares of the Gaffney "catch"). But this is the worst I think I've seen in aggregate.

10. VanJake

I saw 2 bad calls. Blatant and obvious. One for each team.
    I didn’t see the fair catch play.

when we left the stadium with 2 minutes left on the clock I kept thinking we (I’m a Dipshit Troll That is Too Damned Dumb to Know When to Quit) missed 2 opportunities to put it away in the 1st half. He made some good throws but he always has multiple overthrows in his repertoire.

then the fumble to seal it like the interception at Florida.

yeah I wasn’t thinking about the refs.

Then we had to avoid all the drunks in fraternity row on the way back to our vehicle.

I’m just glad I didn't wind up in jail. They didn’t get mouthy until the end.
    They came into the game worried.

11. Ssmiff

Bama hasn’t lost at home to an sec east team in 16 years. “Putting them away” in the first half is a silly thought to me. I see the same comments in basketball games. Putting bama and Saban away in the first half would likely be a first ever event.

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

For me, when I am watching live action in stadiums (and I have seen alot), I don't always see, or understand, all the shitty calls like I do on TV.

In stadium, for me, there are some WTF was that? I may get 3 different stories from my neighbors. So, I just figure I'll watch the replay when I get home and hope I'll get the answer.

<Except the Gaffney "catch". That shit was right below me and is burned in my brain.>

13. VanJake

Well what can I say it was there for the taking….regardless of what history existed thus far.

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

From under center

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There were way more than 2 blatant and obvious bad or missed calls, and some of them were amplified due to the importance of the down, place on the field, or time left in the game.

The missed hold (choke?) on the early 2nd half TD is the obvious one.

The phantom PI call against us late to extend a Bama drive was bad (especially considering the multiple whistles swallowed on could-have-been PI calls against them that, instead, ended multiple drives).

The fair catch nonsense was beyond ridiculous. Even if you can somehow BS your way into how a rule applies, that shit doesn't get called anywhere near enough to justify calling it there.

I didn't see it, but I heard someone kicked someone on our team? That sounds bad. But I've also seen a lot of Bama idiots comparing it to the missed "forearm to the helmet" play. I saw that play multiple times. Our guy was OBVIOUSLY trying to punch the ball out, the case can easily be made that the runner wasn't fully down yet, and, at the end of the day... the guy has a helmet on... an unintentional forearm to a helmet ain't doing shit.

warhammer and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was pissed, disappointed, emotional after the game so I refrained from commenting or reading any comments until today. My observations:
    - 1st half showed we can play with and beat Bama.
    - Got to get more efficient in the red zone and better cost/benefit decision making on 4th down scenarios. Also need an under center dive play when your QB is 245 lbs ffs.
    - Obvious, egregious one sided officiating can/does affect the game and did.
    - I don't know what happened to our run game. Our oline is not deep and not overly talented = not consistent. Recruiting seems a bit behind for this unit. Hope we have the right coach there.
    - Blatant holding on our dline was ridiculous. Don't know why Banks goes into a shell. Bring the heat and die by it until we have better secondary players and coaching.
    - The opening 2nd half long run was the result of a soph or fresh LB missing a gap. We are short on quality Juniors and it shows against veteran rosters. Next year we'll be light on Seniors.
    - I thought Milton played good enough to win. He's not a magical playmaker, but he wasn't the problem.
    - Heupel strikes me as a low ego guy that will learn from games like this.
    - Now go beat the shit out of Kentucky.

LawVol16 likes this.
  17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Funny you mention the Gaffney catch as the way I described the game to my watch group Saturday was that the entire second half was one long Gaffney catch

18. Ssmiff

The non hold on Castles near the end zone and non hold on Baron is a potential 14 pt swing. The call on Lally on 3rd down extended another drive. And we miss 2 short 4th downs as well as drop a first down pass on the 5 yard line. really big events which affected the game and games are usually decided by a few plays here and there. We aren’t good enough to overcome multiple bad breaks.

IP likes this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've seen chatter about the kick. I'm fine with letting it go in exchange for the forearm shot. Both could have been called and were not. That's my big beef with the call on Lally. In a game where they were "letting them play" in the secondary, it showed mightily.

Edit: By kick, I'm referring to the bammer kicking or kicking at one of our players. I meant to quote Indy's post.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

I haven’t mentioned the kick because we let the guy just go stand in the end zone and turn around.