Baylor v Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

By setting up Tom Rathman and Roger Craig with short high percentage passing.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Walsh was tutored by both iirc

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think it can. Any time there is a talent disadvantage, though, it's an outside chance. And at the championship level there almost always is a talent disadvantage involved because teams that can get a stud OL and RB generally do so and proceed to use them. And if they can get superior athletes on one side of the ball, they generally can on the other side as well.

I look at it more that Oregon, Baylor, Boise, Texas Tech et al can't win rings more than it being finesse offense that can't. And I really don't think Oregon is that far off, though it remains to be seen how they progress post-Kelly.

5. kidbourbon

What are you arguing here?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hahaha. Enlighten me as to why it went to shit when what's his name replaced Tebow then?

Both of urban's rings at UF were won by running the ball and an NFL caliber defense

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think the pace has been an innovation. I'm no historian, but I don't think anyone was much doing that before Tony Franklin/Chip Kelly/whoever. It has strategic value, though it obviously isn't winning anything alone.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm sorry I didn't realize you had already jumped from wide open offenses to simple ingenuity. I'll check back in a few pages to see where your backpedaling has led you.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tebow averaged 21 throws a game that year. The only loss of the season came in one of the three games where he was asked to pass 30+ times.

10. kidbourbon

The offense was based off misdirection. Urban said it himself: the offense was predicated on misdirection. Did you not watch that team?

The 08 and 09 UF teams had the common denominator of Tebow. Why was the 08 offense so much better?

11. kidbourbon

Do that, [penis].

12. kidbourbon

Well, yeah, Tebow sucks at passing. Duh.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Tebow was a Fullback.

14. kidbourbon

The pace is innovative, and you're right that it does nothing on its own. A bad offense run quickly is still a bad offense. But when executed well, with other components in place, it can be difficult to stop

And the fake injuries is great comedic value.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I watched defenses sell out to stop Tebow and get burnt on jump passes, shovel passes and deep bombs.

16. kidbourbon

Not following.

17. kidbourbon

Putting aside the importance of Percy in that offense -- which is an interesting discussion in and of itself -- I don't think I'm following your point. Do you agree or disagree that it was a creative, "gimmicky" offense?

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Steve Spurrier before he decided to find a running back?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not trying to diminish Percy at all, but Tebow's ability to run made that offense work.

The reason it worked was because UF could run a 240 qb and out physical people.

Same with Cam.

Those are rare, rare athletes.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How many times did he keep drives going because on 3rd or 4th and a couple he could plow through the line for a first down. We would have beaten them in 2006 if not for that.