Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't know why y'all bother arguing with Uni. He's obviously been everywhere, done everything, and experienced far more in life than any of us could hope to. I imagine he could kick my tail in a veterinary microbiology debate as well.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, he actually lived with a pride of lions for a few years in Africa.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Very likely, but we must remember that affirmative action doesn't exist for all walks of life... very important areas, education and the like, yes, but not exactly useful in the private sector.

Let's advance the scenario:

Black guy from government housing gets in over white guy from government housing. This is likely true, so we accept this conclusion easily enough. Black guy then graduates college and enters work force.

Who has a better advantage of finding a job, black guy or white guy graduating at the same time, same major, same GPA, and neither going into government?

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think it depends on who you're trying to work for. Many corporations essentially have quotas guaranteeing minorities positions that whites couldn't get. I'm sure there are other areas where the black guy would have more trouble getting a job.

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Depends on the size of the company. The smaller the more likely they are to hire someone similar to their own sex/race. That applies whether it's a white, Asian, Indian, or black person. However, like Law said, most larger companies do have quota systems. There, advantage goes to the minority.

6. fl0at_

The one that I've seen was limited to menial labor jobs, not management positions. But my experience is limited to only one major corporation.

Small business still dominates, though, right? Though incorporated, do you think a lot of small businesses have such quota in place? No, they fill... one, maybe two jobs, ever. The past being the past, I can see a white guy getting hired by a lot of small business owners, because they happen to be white. This is obviously changing.

Now, a Fortune 500 company has the ability to play games with their hiring, so they'll hire more minorities, and in that case, I'd say a well rounded and qualified black dude has the advantage.

7. fl0at_

We think a bit alike.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think that's reasonable. However, the fact remains that minorities have not only equality in lots of job sectors, but actually have the advantage solely because of their race. Obviously, it is unfair in the context where they're not being hired only because they're black, but it is somewhat balanced by the many sectors where they are hired only because they're black.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

large corporation far easier IMO, small company probably harder.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If the scenario you painted is accurate, your guidance counselors have a long way to go to even reach shitty.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Depends on industry.

Right now in mine, if you are a minority, you have the advantage.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

as i said earlier in the thread my company gives bonuses to managers to hire women and minority candidates. This also includes mangement. i.e. if a regional manager hires or promotes a minority or woman to become my manager he/she gets a bonus. and i've been told these bonuses for the higher level positions are 5 figures so it shouldn't be discounted. it should be noted that most of this came from a huge discrimination lawsuit in the 90s though. there just aren't many non white men in finance. even my college finance classes were 80% male and probably 70% white (and probably 25% asian).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. fl0at_

Seems like it is more of a corrective means to try to undo past "injustice." I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't practiced at a lot of companies, either.

But would you risk your potential advancement, assuming your hires are a reflection of you, on a five figure bonus? Probably not.

So the candidate must also have the qualifications, even if they don't have the performance in the position. I would assume, though. Not an area I have any experience in, and don't really want to muddy the discussion any further than that.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is no question that the finance industry was and to a degree is an old white (protestant and jewish) boys club. when i first arrived my manager was forced to promote a female to assistant manager (came from above, apparently my office was one of the primary ones mentioned in the lawsuit which i didn't find surprising). She was a nice lady, but completely unqualified and not that bright. Since then I haven't seen anyone get hired who didn't seem qualified.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How many white kids from Jellico High School are getting into Vanderbilt?

16. fl0at_

For that one unqualified chick, there were probably three or four (this truthfully depends on the size of your firm) "good ol' boy" hires of equal worthlessness.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

more than that i'm sure. generally those hires aren't in management though. Our intern list is a who's who of rich clients kids and kids of friends of the managers.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I always find it silly when I see a job application which says, "We are an equal opportunity employer. Please list your race."

I don't have a problem with a company that wants to increase diversity, but it seems strange to ask for something you apparently aren't considering.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I thought that was the sole qualifications for financial services internships.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I was thinking that's what uni was getting at (and I think I said something about it, too).