Bergdahl Charged with Desertion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

What's step 2? Leavenworth?

4. Tenacious D

Courts-martial. Where he belongs.

Step 3 may be a doozy, depending on what they decide and sentence. I can't imagine that President Obama will allow the U.S. Army to execute the same deserter who he authorized the trading of prisoners to retrieve.

And if he is sentenced to death, and receives a presidential pardon, I will joyfully attend the grand opening of President Obama's library, just to see the bathroom stall where this whole situation will be displayed (I say stall, assuming that The Affordable Care Act will be the entire restroom).

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's no way they're executing him.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I'd be shocked if he got a pardon. I do expect a 5ish or less year sentence.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I cannot see it after making that swap. Then again, government dumbassery seems to know no limits these days.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I hadn't thought about it before, but do you guys think it's too harsh to strip him (and any future deserters in theater during wartime) of his citizenship?

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I am not sure I like that government having that power. Slippery slope, I know, but it opens a whole can of problems.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The government does not have that power, does it?

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I do not believe it does, nor should it. It scares me more and more just thinking about it.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

[video=youtube;_-Mnp6VAmEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Mnp6VAmEc[/video]

15. Tenacious D

I don't believe citizenship can be "taken", but it can be surrendered via word or deed...such as taking up arms against the U.S., or working to serve / aid the enemy.

I don't really know, but think this question arose over John Walker Lindh (the American Taliban fighter, IIRC).

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Good. The man and what he stands for sickens me. For those who have sacraficed and their families I wish this cowardly traitor would held accountable to the fullest --- what he so rightfully deserves however, thanks to Obama (fools fool) his punishment will be minimum by comparison.

Another blunder feather to stick in your hat, BO

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No prison time?!?!?!

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Question.

How hard is it to lead any semblance of a normal life with a dishonorable discharge on your record? Can you find work? What kind? I can only assume this shows up on background checks?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Surprised by that. But an army psych team says he is fruitloops, he admitted guilt, and has voiced contrition. I imagine those are all factors.