Best laptops out right now?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At full risk of knowing where this is going.........

What's the best laptop out right now other than an Apple? (I just don't need an Apple thus refuse to spend the money on one.)

Needs/wants -

Be able to work at home on a RAS/small home office functions
    Fast
    Speedy web-surfing
    Decent video/facetime captilities
    Other general computing stuff
    No gaming, no massive movie watching, or anything like that.

Somewhere in the kusha commentary/jokes, any and all help is appreciated.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was gonna say Apple. But you don't appear to be willing to do what it takes to win.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Lenovo ftw.

Had two and like them both.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

acer... and I'm dead serious

5. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Cheap laptop with a RAM upgrade.

MacBook Pro's are awesome, though. And I'm a Droid guy.

6. CardinalVol

I know nothing about them. will investigate.

Not shocked by this. Seriously.

To verify though, are you high on pain meds right now though?

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Believe it or not, I've only taken the penicillin pills today to avoid infection. About to take some ibuprofen though to attempt easing the swelling. Just check what's under the hood, literally. With any computer today, it's about the parts inside. You can get cheaper HPs or even Sonys or Samsungs, but you'll see that the numbers (RAM, Processor, etc) sound good, but it's crappy components. Most Acers are pretty well built and much more affordable than the traditional name brands.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I lol'd

9. govols74n

govols74n New Member

The full sized acers are really dependable too. I have one, took it to Afghanistan for a year in the sand and harsh heat. Never had an issue. Used it for work, skyped home, watched movies....etc. I did upgrade the ram, but that's cheap and. Only takes a few minutes. It's definitely not an apple, (those are too cool for me anyway).....I was skeptical at first, but It's a good little computer.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I've had two acer laptops. My last laptop was an acer.

I buy cheap laptops, and do what was said above, and upgrade the ram.

Acer are usually a little more thick and heavy, but if you aren't carting it around, I don't see why it matters.

11. CardinalVol

Will be carting around from office into living room, the next room to it. Possibly downstairs eventually. That's it.

My home computer (Inspiron 1520) is about 5 years old, and starting to show signs of age.

12. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

Another vote for Acer. Typing on my Aspire V3-551 right now. As far as reliability goes they are the only company whose components I've never had fail. Hell, I still use the old clicky Acer keyboard from my 286 on my gaming machine.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

anyone got an impression on Windows 8? I've yet to try it, but we can usually get the Microsoft stuff cheap through the PX.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just bought my second Toshiba in a row. Have liked them both.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think you should get a Macbook Pro and run Windows on it. The new models come with a talking penis.

In all seriousness, Acers are rock solid, as are Lenovos and Asus.

16. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Don't get an acer.. some people have good luck with them considering the price but if you don't (which is common since they are the cheapo's in the electronic business) then you also have to deal with some of the worst customer support in the world. Or a Sony Vaio (they look good and usually have great features but quality wasn't that great.. but that was on a gaming laptop when they were first coming out.. had a lot of over heating problems even with a cooling mat.. could've improved by now).

Go with Asus (edit: actually I just checked they have mid ranged laptops too I was only aware of their high end ones prior to looking it up just now) if you're willing to spend that much if not that the next best quality would be like Toshiba/HP/Lenovo... then samsung...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No kush mention. You guys are losing it

18. CardinalVol

emain had a strong reference to her. Was disappointed it took 15 posts to get to it though.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I've had nothing but crappy customer service from the following: HP, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba and Sony. Never had to deal (or in most cases help a friend deal) with Aser, so I can't speak for them, but I'm about 95% sure you get crappy customer service from anybody. My HP technically survived Afghanistan, but I've had plenty of struggles with it. If you have issues, your best bet is usually to find a friend that really knows computers or try your luck with a local repair guy.

20. CardinalVol

I've had one experience with Dell customer service in 10+ years of using them, and it was about as good as I could ask for.

Go figure.