Beverly Davenport fired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 2, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's gone soon enough. It doesn't matter with him.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The guy that did a Happy dance when we made the taxslayer bowl is going to lecture someone on their communication skills. I've seen a lot smoother people behind a mic than Bev, but let's not pretend that that had much of anything at all to do with why she got fired.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

the more I think about this, the more sure I am that this is the empire striking back.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they were not giving her 1.2 million over 4 years, she would righteously sue it out of them. The bit about not accepting the culture and whatnot is code for not being a pawn, imo.

Tenacious D, vols85 and A-Smith like this.
  5. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

So they are just making her earn money they would have to pay her in a lawsuit/settlement/buyout anyway? I suppose that is somewhat comforting, although doesn't the fact that she is being given tenure mean that they'll be paying her for much longer than 4 years?

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Please explain why Currie and Jones were given their payouts, but UT is making her continue to work for hers. Am I misunderstanding this? I would be embarrassed if I got demoted like this. Maybe if the university said something like we both agreed for her to step down, but for him to bash her, say she's doing a shitty job, then say, btw, you re still working here, that sucks.

warhammer, vols85 and IP like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I suppose. But my angle is that she's not being demoted for legitimate reasons.

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess they think she'll move on as soon as she finds something else. I'd heard months ago she was interested in a few Big 10 schools that might have upcoming openings.

IP likes this.
  9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Not a fan of Bev. I want someone who knows UT color is not burnt orange, morning show gimmicks are not Championships, what Pat Summitt accomplished, and does not troll fans during Coaching searches.

With that said, all of his complaints were petty and subjective.

warhammer, vols85 and IP like this.
  10. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

What can keep Bill from becoming the next UT President?

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m not sure it is

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I find the public b****slapping quite odd.
    And counter to any of the Executive management/leadership training I ever received.

So if DiPietro did not want her to get the job, who was the primary driver?

vols85 and IP like this.
  13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Absolutely nothing. Most of his BOT appointees were confirmed

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like a horrible way to get someone else to come in and take her off our hands too

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The same school that thought allowing a coach to order an "Opportunity is Nowhere" banner was a good idea.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Serious question. Did they fill those 5 open spots (4 rejection + 1 decline)?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Title IX lawsuit against Hart

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are many qualified women in the world. Not an excuse.

Ask Romney for a couple binders.

Poppa T likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

So the plaintiffs in the Title IX lawsuit chose Bev as part of the Settlement?

I'm leaning more towards the possibility that they let Butch choose.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t know that they “chose Bev” but I imagine they influenced strongly what type of candidate it was gonna be

tbh it could’ve been entirely on UT’s part too, we’ve been known to make reactionary hires

Either way I think that whole deal was a big influence