Bill Gates is worried about artificial intelligence too

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jan 29, 2015.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

2. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Android?

I've had similar experiences that proved to me Google is listening all the time.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Apple. Siri is always, always listening

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I find the 'off' button to be an extremely user-friendly privacy feature.

reVOLt likes this.
  5. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Camping with some buddies last year. Was streaming music on my phone; my buddy was telling me what he wanted to hear. The next morning, on HIS phone, Google sent him an alert about an upcoming concert on what he was asking for me to play.

About 30 minutes before we were scheduled to leave, Google pops up and tells him how long it's going to take him to get home.

This was a year ago, freaked us out.

kmf600 likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was talking to some people last night about this and how it will be tied with Google Assistant. Next time I unlocked my phone, Google Play Store was open and asked me if I wanted to load Google Assistant.

I am thinking about turning off my phone, but I don't want to rouse its anger.

GahLee, reVOLt and kmf600 like this.
  7. cpninja

cpninja Member

yall got some super phones. My dumbass Siri doesnt know how to set a timer half the time let alone predict where I'm going next

kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Strong correlation between the two. The better AI gets, the less we have to do. AI continually gets better while we continually regress.

9. GahLee

I keep that [itch bay] unplugged. She only gets the juice when I want to stream some music.

10. GahLee

You obviously know a shit ton about computers and the like, so this may be a dumb thought to you.

What if the AI is coded to have a one track mind, meaning that it observes and reports everything around it, compiles the data and immediately discards what doesn't fit the parameters of what it has been coded to preserve?

AI may never be the master but it could potentially make for one hell of a slave and in the wrong hands, could that not be dangerous?

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

My most recent thoughts on AI as expressed through a text conversation with my loving wife.
    [​IMG]

justingroves and kmf600 like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's not intelligence, that's a video and audio recorder with a search engine on top.

14. GahLee

Fair enough.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is that really how it works though? There have been so many time saving tools developed over the years, but that doesn't mean we are actually doing less now. We've just found new things to do to fill that time.

If my company finds a way to take a task that normally takes 5 hours and cut it down to 1 hour, I don't get to just stop working for those other 4 hours. I fill that 4 hours with a different productive task.

16. GahLee

Doesnt apply to everything. Technology has certainly advanced to the point were we as humans have to do far less labor than in the past. As it continues to progress we will be tasked with doing even less from a physical standpoint.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We’ve basically eliminated the physical aspect from our daily lives.

I think that’s why so many struggle with depression and other mental issues. We’ve evolved for millions of years to be active and we’ve basically flipped the shit on it

reVOLt, warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But how does doing far less labor mean we are regressing or cause “de-evolution?”

Less from a physical standpoint can mean more from a mental standpoint.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's a lot of people that aren't worth a damn while thinking, they're much better doing

Volst53 and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

Also, the AI being developed now will probably take over a lot of "thinking" jobs before the more physical ones.