POLITICS Border Wall / Gub-mint Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Dec 11, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's an act of Congress to fire someone.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, if Federal workers do lose their jobs, at least it won’t unfairly cut either party, as the federal workforce is basically split 50/50 between Dems and Repubs.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There is an employee with my dad's agency that it has taken them almost 4 years now to fire.

four. 4. quatro. el fouro.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Needs to operate more like the private sector. Of course that is not possible.

5. Tenacious D

It’s actually both entirely possible and perfectly reasonable.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Then what is to stop Congress from simply not appropriating executive branches they deem politically motivated by opposite party politics?

There is a handshake agreement that Federal workers are apolitical. It is only recently that there is an idea that they should be in lock step with the elected, and why we have weaponized appropriations.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. fl0at_

Most private sector companies fail in under 30 years.

The public sector has been going strong for 242 years.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Can you explain this, please? Because I am not clear how a strong military is the bulwark against internal political and social and economic issues, as well as, say, something like pulling out of NATO.

It isn't like Russia or China wants to invade USA sovereign territory, but exert more pull on 3rd party states, and this kind of chaos would allow that.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yeah, its apples to apples.

10. fl0at_

Weird. Like your last post you wanted to make it out to be.

Glad I could change your mind in so few words.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just said it should operate more like it, not exactly like it.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know what the private sector equivalency is for implementing and enforcing laws. "More like the private sector" is a platitude. How? By being able to fire people? Well, congratulations then, it operates more like the private sector than you think.

13. Tenacious D

Such would be well within Congress’ right.

The Federal workforce should absolutely be apolitical.

If the POTUS doesn’t agree with the actions of Congress, including but not limited to those regarding appropriations, he can refuse to sign or veto any objectionable bill they send him, as such is squarely within his Executive rights.

14. Tenacious D

The Federal workforce should be employed at-will and under Right to Work laws.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

What is the basis of promotion in the public sector? Is it only by sonority? Or can it be by merit as well?

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Both.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I thought I had read somewhere at one point that it was sonority only but I didn't think that could be true.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sometimes its "You suck, and I'm tired of dealing with you. Here's a promotion so you're no longer my problem"

Source: I have witnessed this multiple times.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Come on.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I've seen it happen multiple times. It's not business as usual but it absolutely happens. A guy was making women uncomfortable in the office. A few months later after they complained he mysteriously gets a promotion (title and pay bump) to move to a different group. There was another instance where a woman sat in and slept in her car in the parking lot for at least 4 hours a day assuming she bothered to show up. Got moved to another group with a pay bump. There's been a few others over the years I've worked around them.

I'm not saying its the standard, but it absolutely does happen because you can't fire these people. I'm not saying all, most, or even a sizable percentage of government workers suck, but the ones that do never lose their job. Unless you're caught diddling children you're set for life. The government groups I work around try to corral all the dead beats into groups so they don't poison the well of people actually wanting to do their job. Sadly to get them there, you sometimes have to promote them.