Bribery in College Admissions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by RockyHill, Mar 12, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

it looks like they just nabbed one cell of this. there are probably dozens of identical operations all across the country. maybe more.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What I don’t get is for that kind of money can’t you get your kid into usc the normal way?

lylsmorr, A-Smith, IP and 1 other person like this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ivy league schools probably nervous right now.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

hell, you could put those millions in a trust and let your kid go wherever. he would come out ahead.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You're buying prestige. That's one of the biggest issues with the educational bubble that's about to happen

justingroves likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

about to? we are clearly there.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Arrogance and stupidity

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I sure do hope my kids are smart. They aint getting in on a ball scholarship with their ancestry, that's for sure.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

they'll pretend to be the victims, rather than the accomplices.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're close but we're not there yet.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's the ridiculous thing. those kids are already set up for life. usc has always taken dumb rich donor kids. those kids must have awful grades for them to have to go that route.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My oldest (about to turn 14) is looking at this school in Florida called Full Sail University. They have a big game designer program there, and he is super excited about it.

After some research, though, I have found out they are a for-profit university and my spidey sense started tingling. Sure enough, tons of people complaining about how they almost force you to take loans, etc. It is the first time he has, on his own, started researching and looking at something in his life, and I don't want to squash it, but damn if it didn't have to be some rip-off school.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i like their beer

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's why I don't understand Colleges like Tennessee hell bent on being a top 20 school. You're a land grant university. Offer a solid education at price that the people in your state need, instead of chasing prestige.

15. CardinalVol

Because the university leaders have to make sure their ego can hold up to their peers.

When you realize that most college admin are either too lazy to grow up and want to be around college kids or just want to feed their own ego, it makes understanding it a lot better.

JayVols likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

there's a middle ground. and the metrics to be a top school are a lot of BS that has nothing to do with quality of education.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

I remember when UT was in the top 10 Party Schools. Our football program was pretty good then, too.

JayVols and kmf600 like this.
  18. CardinalVol

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

as soon as I saw the name I muttered "hell no." tell him to research salaries and degrees of people in the industry who he would like to emulate.

he's better off pursuing programming and having a practical skill set than a specialized game degree. it's a scam.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

Trust me I have already talked to him about it. I had to be tactful and not just come out and say "NO", because he was genuinely interested in it and I didn't want to completely cause him to recoil.

I hope I have planted the seed, however.