Butch jones is underrated

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by droski, Jun 1, 2017.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Not Hotdog?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Haha.

I love that show.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I could just about watch Jen Yeung clips all day. "It is water animal".

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

In the fourth paragraph he says Barnett was the 25th player taken overall. That's not true (14th overall), and can so easily be checked by an editor. How does stuff like this happen?

Anyway, stopped reading after that.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Laziness

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I mean, if you want to defend some hot take, at least get your basic facts right.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I stopped at the touting of having coached JJ Watt. Very misleading

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This piece honestly reeks of "i'm going to buck the trend to get clicks." Defend the indefensible just to get people to come and laugh at him.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Watt played Te and felt misled by coaches, who said he would get to score touchdowns. They then tried to switch him to offensive tackle after recruiting him on being able to score tds at cmu, and he transferred. Then he played de. Had he stayed with butch, we probably wouldn't know his name. He's an indictment of butch, not a credit.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He also spells Hurd as Heard. I agree that it's pretty hard swallow him having an expert opinion on UT.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

personally I don't find the "he developed nfl players" argument too compelling. your job is to win college games, not produce nfl players. if anything having a lot of nfl players and not winning means you suck at coaching

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's not as if Barnett was some underdeveloped diamond in the rough. He dominated from day one in Knoxville. Same deal with Sutton and pretty much with JRM. Josh Dobbs saw his career sabotaged at every turn in favor of Worley and that guy that transferred to Memphis. You could argue Malone got better during his time here, but I think a lot of his draft status was based on God-given speed more so than college production. If you really want to talk about how these guys develop NFL talent I'd take a look at Nathan Peterman.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Couldn't feel it.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If we were only a farm league

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He coached JJ Watt into transferring because he tried to switch him to TE.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he WAS a Te because Jones told him to come to CMU and play TE and he would score lots of touchdowns. That didn't happen because Jones doesn't throw to wide open TE's. He then told Watt he should move to OT. Watt said "nope."

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think everyone is missing the point that since Watt broke his back, he'll probably suck the rest of his career so Butch was really right all along about wanting to move on.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's right. If I'm going to rag him, I should at least get my facts straight.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, Watt isn't a good example of Butch finding a gem

20. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

You can't so consistently underachieve and be underrated at the same time. That isn't how it works.

Butch Jones:

1. Loses games he should win.
    2. Doesn't win games outside of the ones he's suppose to, beyond SC his first year.
    3. Can't get to the SEC championship game despite it being ripe for the taking.

How does that equal underrated? It equals overrated, he still has a job he can't meet the expectations for. The above should be the minimum expectations for Tennessee football. Win the games you're suppose to, pull an upset every now and again, and go to the SEC championship game. If you aren't going to try to live up to the history of the program, find someone that will.

None of the arguments in this article have any true justification of making the claim he's underrated. It's clickbait trash.