POLITICS Buttilicious

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by gcbvol, Apr 18, 2019.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Exactly.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

3. gcbvol

Ugh. At least that's an exception vs the rule.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

some folks giving him grief for saying "on and off the field" in reference to Kobe Bryant. Such a petty tone deaf critique. He does seem to be a pinata right now, and much of it has zero substance.

Which was also the case with primary Jeb. Just silly nonsense piled on for the laughs. Politics as entertainment.

5. gcbvol

Yeah. I saw someone claim Pete thought he played football and was an example of his racism. It was a bro, though, so fairly standard. Better than the ones saying they wished he died in Afghanistan.

Look, there are legitimate reasons not to support him. I get it and don't agree with all his policies myself. However, some of the attacks by media folks are bizarre; it's piling on as sport. The other candidates take hits, too, but nothing like the way they drag Pete. I believe much of it is (mostly) unconscious homophobia. Picking on the gays has always been a more tolerated form of bullying. We all saw it up close in school and know it's true. Though we've improved greatly it's still part of our social DNA.

6. Tenacious D

It’s almost like the man is in water that’s too deep for his seamanship, and where his opponents don’t have to take him seriously...and so they don’t.

And you’re almost certainly right that a majority of that is rooted in his being gay....but you’ll cause him immeasurable harm in arguing it. Politics isn’t fair, and people who get upset by that fact only get laughed at.

He’s a big boy, and he asked for this fight, let him take his lumps.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It goes to show you that all the isms are not equal. Were he a she or a racial minority, they couldn't so brazenly use his race and gender against him. And if he dares insinuate anything has to do with his sexuality, that in itself will mean he's "wearing it on his sleeve" or some shit.

We're better than we've ever been maybe in history, but we're still pretty primitive when you total us all up. And it only takes a tiny number of shitheads to stir this pot and subconsciously poison the well of others. Hell, look at Trump's rise through the GOP primary. He did it alll the way. And still does, with the stupid nicknames, constant threats, etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    doolmeonce and gcbvol like this.
  8. gcbvol

Completely disagree. He's smarter (maybe even with Warren), more genuine and has better temperament than any of them. The other candidates laregely do take him seriously and, if anything, have exhibited envy born of entitlement over his success to date.

I'm not arguing anything, rather stating a truth here alone. And it is the Truth.

He's handling it just fine. He's a Navy vet with brains and a strong yet calming disposition. Folks claim he's robotic and doesn't emote enough, but they don't understand the very valid reasons for it. It's classic best little boy in the world.

9. Tenacious D

Part 1:
    None of those qualities make a damn when it comes to who wins an election. The Top 3 have only considered him insofar as whether they want him as VP. He isn’t a threat to any of them, and he reminds me of Ben Carson in that regard.

You can think he is a legit threat all day long.

You’re wrong, and he isn’t.

Part 2:
    In a situation where there are hundreds of reasons why he’s being treated any differently than others, we’ve leapt to the gay angle pretty damned quickly.

He will never win as long as you or anyone else makes this even remotely about his being gay.

Option A:
    “I want to be treated like everyone else, no matter my sexual orientation, as it’s immaterial.” = good. Well, at least better, somewhat better than “terrible”.

Option B:
    “I’m being persecuted and picked on because I’m gay.” = political death sentence. Literally the worst angle you can take.

Now, if you want to turn him into a ground-breaking champion of the gay community - keep heading to Option B.

If you want to see him have any legitimate chance at being elected President - drop Option B and go exclusively with Option A.

Part 3:
    You mean he’s handling it fine for a presidential candidate? Because he isn’t, at all. Hence he’s a non-factor.

Or do you mean he’s handling it just fine for the first openly gay presidential candidate? I guess so? It’s the biggest perk of going first.

He isn’t ready and you’re in denial.

All of these other mother [uck fay]ers will lie to you, both because they like and believe you to be a nice guy....and they don’t want to appear homophobic by being honest about Mayor Pete.

He’s got as much chance as I do to win the Democratic nomination. I’ve actually got a better chance of actually winning a general election than he does.

I know it.
    You know it.
    Everybody knows it.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I do think apart of it is that he's gay.

It's easy to think the Dems are supportive of gays, but I think it was more pushed on them than a stance they truly cared about at the national level.

Another is the founder of Facebook was thinking about running till the last second, but then emailed Pete and backed him. Zuckerberg picked most of Buttilicious staff. I think a lot of Dems don't like and feel threatened by his power so they're doing their best to keep him from getting a foothold.

The last part is that the DNC is so corrupt if you're not in their little circle. The machine really turns against you and facts be damned.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He should tell people he was joking about being gay and get back in the running.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's not winning.

It's either Warren/Biden or Bernie.

Bernie will have to over win it like Obama though or the DNC will cheat him again.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I like Pete including liking him as a candidate.

He doesn’t have a chance. He’s polling 2% among African Americans in South Carolina. He will be steam rolled on Super Tuesday.

14. TennTradition

The Dems are going to try to make this really hard for me.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's crazy how they keep power, and you better not get out of line and talk about it, or you're done in the party too.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I may go with Pete just because I'm tired of hearing "he's not ready" or "experienced." no one is ready until they are in the office. Some remain not ready even after they are in the office.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Even IP has to just call Warren what she really is now.

No way anyone will take her serious on a national level. She really shot herself in the foot with the comments about Bernie.

18. TennTradition

The party shouldn’t do this, it’s true.

But I was just meaning a Warren or Bernie candidate makes November difficult for me.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

IP doesn't have to do anything. I said I didn't like how she handled it, but we are all mere mortals. What she really is, is a very smart person with good ideas and a desire to bring reform. All the pageant stuff is noise. This is a good field, under all the mud being slung.

20. TennTradition

I absolutely agree she has substance. She just lost me on energy and I think she has demonstrated she’s too willing to signal positions to the default most left view if she doesn’t know enough about it to drive her to moderate it. It goes beyond energy for me but that one just seemed a bridge too far. In general I’m just not aligned to her platform.