POLITICS Buttilicious

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by gcbvol, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sounded like it was supposed to be an extended stay for a story that got cut short to his unwillingness to help out and being a distraction.

I don’t think it’s flattering to him either way.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You made this claim. @gcbvol liked it. I am positing this: you are both guilty of the same kind of mindless echo bullshit being rightly criticized here regarding Buttigieg. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you are referring to somewhere else than the commune he visited for THREE DAYS while writing a story for his then party's publication in 1971. No, he was not kicked out for being "too lazy." He was asked to leave because his questions and interviewing was a distraction, and the original allotted agreement of time was... THREE DAYS.

I could be wrong. Maybe you are referring to another time and place. But if you aren't, you're doing exactly what the twitter lady is doing: drawing up a false narrative.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. Three days. And he was asked to leave after... three. days. And if he was writing a story and being distracting, how was that him being lazy?

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think I'm echoing anything here.

The report sounds like the commune was nice enough to give him three days with a chance of extending it.

While sanders wasn't interviewing, he didn't help out the commune. Which didn't endure himself to his guest, and they considered him a distraction and thought it'd be best to stick to the three day allotment and not extend his stay.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was his job? It wasn't to work for the commune, was it? It was to write a story and he had 3 days.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Your criticism is a fair one, IP. My like was not based on intimate knowledge of Bernie in the commune. It was more about Sander's history with any work not in politics. He's not alone in this for sure, but he talks a lot about being of the working class when he has not really worked all that much outside politics. He became a multi-millionaire as a politician, not as a member of the 'working class'.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

More people do, don't you think?

In this specific case, he was working as a writer for political outlet when this visit to the commune for a story happened. So it really demonstrates that he WAS a member of the working class. He was 30 years old in 1971.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He was a free lance reporter that was sending stories in and being paid by the word. He didn’t have a hard deadline and was more or less jobless.

He has a huge romanticism for the way or life that he was going to write about but didn’t want any part in the back breaking labor that went into the back to the land movement.

I’d say the truth is more in the middle but if he was leaving anyways. Why did they tell him to leave?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

"okay, three days are up for your visit. Bye." Not weird for a community like that.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Are you saying that you think most multi-millionaires made their millions in Politics?

gcbvol likes this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Maybe not but then why Did they peg him as being lazy and a distraction after he left

12. gcbvol

Yes, a series of part time odd jobs. He was college educated and could have worked more, but was focused on being a politician. He was never a working class victim, rather he worked only enough to eek out an existence while trying to attain his political goals. All by choice. He is the very definition of the career politician his supporters demonize. He and Trump are cult leaders.

warhammer and VolDad like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying most politicians make the majority of their money after becoming politicians.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't think a journalist could be a distraction? It sounds like it was one guy who thought he was causing problems getting work done, and that is where the "lazy" thing has come from.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry people are calling Buttigieg names and making shit up. I don't know why people do that stuff. I see it a lot. Such as here, in the post you just made.

16. gcbvol

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

“The electricity was turned off a lot,” Barnett said. “I remember him running an extension cord down to the basement. He couldn’t pay his bills.”

He worked some as a carpenter, although “he was a shitty carpenter,” Bloch told me. “His carpentry,” Morrisseau said, “was not going to support him, and didn’t.”

Liberty Union “people found it difficult to support themselves while engaging in full-time political work,” Michael Parenti, one of those people, wrote in the Massachusetts Review in the summer of 1975. “Some held jobs that allowed free time for campaign activities, while others lived off unemployment insurance.”

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sounds like his main focus was politics and work was a forced second thought while scrapping by

gcbvol likes this.
  20. gcbvol

I didn't call him lazy or intend to imply he was. It's pretty clear his goal from early on was politics and he only worked enough to survive and further that pursuit even with a family to support. It doesn't make him a bad guy by any stretch, but he's no working class hero either. Politicians definitely work, but let's not pretend they work like most of us—especially considering how much they earn for said work and how wealthy most of them end up from elected office.

Again, I'm not trying to demonize him. I'm just pointing out he's no better than any other career politician and not the messiah his followers make him out to be.

warhammer and VolDad like this.