Bye Bye Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 6, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

So you cannot turn away emergency indigent care, but it isn't a right? Perhaps we have different definitions of what a "right" is.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If they can't legally deny treatment, how is that not a right?

Oxymoron much?

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It's just a fact. Admittedly I'm not well read on healthcare stuff, so I can't say I have a well thought out opinion of how our healthcare system should function. In short I'm inclined to agree with Card, go one way or another but the middle doesn't and won't ever work. But regardless of what my opinion on the issue as a whole is, it's just plainly not a right.

4. NorrisAlan

Can I pull a President Trump and say "No one knew it was so complicated" and shuffle off to Florida on this question?

But I do think with a central system, it will be easier to implement rules and regulations (I know, a bad word in many circles). For instance, in a single payer system, you can say "smoke cigarettes, and your taxes go from $250 to $300" or something like that.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The problem with health care being a "right" is that then one person has a "right" to another person's time/expertise/product.

6. JayVols

The state of Tennessee can't arbitrarily throw anyone in the electric chair, but Tennesseeans don't have a right to life.

7. JayVols

So, you have a problem with fair trials & mandatory legal representation for all? Hate to infringe on a lawyer's time/expertise/product.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And people lie with little to no recourse because there is no way to prove it and then only way I can come up otherwise is if you get to hospital with lung cancer, it's beyond shadow of doubt cigarettes are what caused it, and you are on the hook.

9. CardinalVol

Except in your hypothetical we have 1) a person who has taken the job of public defender, and 2) lawyers who are trying to establish themselves or aren't very good on a list to make an extra buck.

So in this scenario, it's basically attorneys willing to voluntarily assume the job, which isn't the same.

10. JayVols

Disagree.

I'm always told to just get another job.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd like us to expand medicaire (not the best system in the world, but it is what we have) and offer it as a public option and at least attempt to better our current healthcare system rather than blow it all up and go single payer. that means also making Medicaid self sufficient too which likely means raising premiums.

12. JayVols

I would be ok with a dual system just as long as the publuc option is available.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I haven't seen any evidence that obamacare has helped decrease preventable diseases in this country one iota and wasn't that the primary rationale given as to why we couldn't stick with the "people show up at the hospital" care we had before for the uninsured?

14. CardinalVol

Which they are most certainly can do, but they are saying they are willing to give their time/expertise/resources in order that people may have an attorney. There are other lawyers who, sure, could be called upon, but likely would never see a PD case ever.

Basically, in a hospital, a doctor is going to have to probably not be reimbursed at all for seeing some patients.

15. CardinalVol

Of course, a this point, some doctors who see Medicaid patients are basically serving this role anyway.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you still of course have the negative selection problem meaning the most sick people will opt in and the healthiest will likely opt out. I hate hate hate the fact that obamacare eligibility is based on income. I have two clients with little personal income on obamacare who are worth millions. I have another client on obamacare who actively didnt' look for a job because she didn't want to pay back the premiums which is of course idiotic, but is the way people think. we need to make the threshold for free healthcare far higher than it already is even if that means it's a [itch bay] for people.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a client who yeah isnt' healthy, but has no new issues whos doctor has her coming in once a month and she couldn't explain to me why. I think she being an old lady is just happy for something to do. i'm shocked Medicare pays for that shit.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've also noticed the number of doctors not taking medicare has appeared to have dropped. when my parents first went on it they had serious problem finding top end doctors who would take it. so my question is are these doctors taking it now because they have no choice because of the aging population or because they are getting more money out of medicare?

19. NorrisAlan

Has there been enough time?

20. CardinalVol

We call that "Medicare fraud", IMO. Would be interesting to see documentation.