Can Josh Dobbs Stay Healthy?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Jun 16, 2015.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

My point was that drills/workout numbers don't necessarily translate to on field ability. Prime example:Raijon Neal.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no question about it, but they certainly are helpful in seeing raw athletic ability. luck's running vision is just ok, but outside of that he would absolutely destroy it in a read option offense.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Raijon Neal ran a legitimate 4.41 forty, but he couldn't play running back to save his life

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah cal has a state track champion at rb and he is currently 3rd string. He's a nice size too

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just reminds us that RB (and all of football) is more about vision and football savvy than 40 times.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree, to a point.

And that point happens right about when a 4.3 WR gets a step on a 4.45 DB.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'd say WR is the one position where pure burner speed and decent hands can get you by. Just run 9s all day; you're either going to be open or you're going to take 1 or 2 DBs with you every time.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As Inv said, I think WR is the exception to the rule. Until you get a DB that can jam the shit out of some sprinter at the line.

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Or a RB who gets to the second level.

Accelleration, vision, cutting ability. Putting distance between you and the defender, gotta love break away speed

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Yep.

As well as running behind a wall of All-Pro OL. Emmitt Smith was rumored to have run a mid-high 4.5 in his best years.. probably more like a 4.6 in his prime which is about what Arian Foster runs.

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'll take 4-6 yards each carry over 0 yards and then busting a 60 yarder out randomly.

Guys like Jamaal Charles are rare. Most burner RBs are like Chris Johnson and that is just not reliable. I would want reliable from my RB. Let WRs be the big play guys as their 0 yard carries are wiped out by the fact they don't get the ball thrown to them.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I'll take both ('backs and receivers) w/ break away speed. Hurd and Kamara can get you 4-6/carry or give you good YAC and both have break away ability / takin' it to the house.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Arian probably can't touch 4.6 now.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Sounds like Chris Henry from Arizona. The Titans drafted him based on size and his 4.40 forty and he wasn't worth a shit.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Burned a 2nd Rounder no less.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't realize you believed in past lives.

17. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

I remember the 2 point conversion against Mizzou he took a helmet right to his knee when he went airborne. That has convinced me he doesn't have normal body parts.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The idea that this phenomenon even exists is wrong. The guy busting out 60 yards is gonna pick up 4 just like the guy who can't bust out a 60 yarder is gonna get 4.

The only true exception I've seen to this was Barry Sanders.

19. kidbourbon

This statement might just be true for every offense ever designed. They can operate perfectly fine without a QB who can move, but they'd all certainly be just a bit better if he could.

20. kidbourbon

I didn't know that, but i'm not totally shocked. Luck was a much better athlete than people who didn't watch him regularly realized. I didn't realize it until Stanford ran a play with him at WR and he made a nifty one-handed grab near the sideline. It was obvious from that that he was mobile and athletic.

But he's still not athletically in Newton's ballpark. To say that Newton runs like a black guy and Luck runs like a white guy isn't totally inaccurate. Newton can cut and shift with ease in a way that Luck can't.