Chicago: 101 Shootings in 5 days

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Trump said he had a solution. So let's do that.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's really complicated. No one knew how complicated it was until now.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

A lot of bulldozers. Or a wall.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Defending and maintaining a black market can be messy

6. fl0at_

Always something illegal to traffic. Always.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think you can totally stop it but a lot of our policies on drugs have created the mess in Chicago.

8. fl0at_

I don't think lifetime criminals legitimize just because they can open a dispensary.

Make all drugs legal and crime will turn to running guns. Make all guns legal and crime will turn to prositition. Make prositition legal and crime will turn to stealing cars, or stealing guns, or human trafficking, or stealing power tools.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, but I think there is a correlation and causation with certain products. Prohibition is exhibit A.

More people want Mary Jane than they want prostitutes, I would imagine, so there would be a supply-demand thing going on.

But there will always be a black market, but you can take away a lot of its most profitable things, aka drugs.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know, everyone likes having sex, not everyone smokes

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't know the % of people that go to prostitutes or use their services, but I cannot believe it is as high as those that have used or use marijuana.

I can use my right hand for free, as well.

12. fl0at_

Then explain why drug laws, which are fairly uniform across all major cities, results in crime rates that aren't?

There is a cultural aspect to crime; take away the niche and the culture still exists. It just finds a new niche.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Legalization of drugs is the biggest threat to cartels and of organized crime in America.

There will always be underground activity but drugs is by far the biggest market, which drives most of the examples you listed.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

So, this is about drugs?

15. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Hopefully Trump will "tweet" them to stop. Problem solved just like the aca and border wall, ect.........

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

IMO, it is about systemic poverty. Nothing to lose.

17. fl0at_

This is a purely naive viewpoint. Opioids needed no help from cartels or organized crime to create a huge black market. Legalized anything doesn't kill the underground. Again, see Opioids for an example.

What drives the examples I list is money. Period. And decreased regulations increases money, which is exactly what you constantly espouse regarding farming regulations, is it not? So who has more decreased regulations: regulated drugs, or black market drugs? Even in an environment where drugs, like corn, is freely traded, black market drugs have fewer regulations, and thus generate more money.

18. fl0at_

No.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I am not privy to that info either, but take a walk after midnight in places like South Beach in Miami . If you don't get propositioned at least twice per 100 yds, you are either an ugly mf, or you look like a cop.

20. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

In fairness if you're going into these neighborhoods to buy some pot to smoke you're an idiot