China mass stabbing: Deadly knife attack in Kunming

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 5, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What was yours? I said people kill people. You didn't. You said weapons with more range kill better. Was that a point?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd saying trying to limit the carnage is a very good point. I'd also argue that the guys we see here wouldn't have the balls to stab a bunch of people. they load themselves up with body armor and multiple automatic guns and it's a far more detached way of doing things than stabbing someone. in particular given how the vast majority of these guys appear to be 80 pound weakling loners.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Wild story no matter how you want to look at it.

If firearms are involved I wonder if the causality list is as high?

I would think with gunfire the people would have scattered.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think 6 guys with guns would certainly have killed more than 29 people. and i'd "scatter" if a bunch of people were stabbing, but maybe that's just me.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Or fought back faster with reloads, etc. People are more afraid of knives than guns, as well. The fear of getting cut is very primal (primal is my word of the day, btw).

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think 6 stabees with guns end the melee at 1 injury.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fort hood suggests otherwise, but despite all these shootings we've had how many times has there been a guy with a gun shooting back that wasn't a policeman? obviously arming everyone doesn't preclude someone from not bringing the gun with them.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Don't understand. The shoot back incidents tend not to make the NYT. Are you saying they don't happen?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

obviously don't happen very often.

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

as often as mass shootings? how often do they end potential mass shootings? I don't think you can answer the second.

The first, I'm willing to bet random citizen with a carry ends a POS more often than a POS commits random mass homicide.

12. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138894094.html

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many people do you think get stabbed before you even realize there are people stabbing other people?

How many people do you think get shot before you realize there are people shooting other people?

Can't scatter if you don't know something is happening.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also seems important to note that another 130 were injured. Whether by stab wounds or in the panic, I'm not sure, but that's a high number.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said crazy people are going to be crazy people, actually. And since you mentioned it, weapons with more range DO kill better. And you KNOW it.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No they don't. They kill less efficiently, and I know it.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Define "efficiency?" Why don't military personnel carry swords anymore? This conversation has fallen over the edge of ridiculous.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

All military personnel carry knives and, depending on mission, a bayonet.

Standoff range is an enormous military advantage, so you strive for it. I've repeatedly said that range is the advantage.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Someone already posted to this fact, but I think, for me, it would be more difficult to run someone through with a knife while I was looking in their eyes than to shoot them with a firearm from a distance. I hope to never be faced with either. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense, but that's how I think I would feel if I were ever in both situations.