Corporate Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Mar 26, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good stuff.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

By prestige I assume you mean lots of money

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm going to do this more often. It was meant in jest, but it actually allows us to skip many of our more well-worm semantics. My brief replies:

1. I agree to believe that it should not be a businesses' business to compel an employee to do anything which is not allowed by law, be it healthcare, or otherwise. Similarly, I believe that said business should not dragged into an employee's private and personal healthcare business, simply because they want the business to bank roll said choices. I do not believe that a business should be required to bankroll the payment of any goods or services which can be reasonably justified as being a violation of their religious freedoms, within the narrow confines of that which the SCOTUS has agreed to allow.

2. The ACA mandate specified that employers must provide for birth control. HL more than met this mandate, both legally and in deed, by approving the reimbursement of 16 such medications in their health insurance plans.

3. I agree with your first sentence. And both myself and SCOTUS agree with your second.

If a woman wants these four drugs, she can work for any number of thousands of companies who will readily offer them.
    Or, she can simply buy them, herself, and instead.

How is this person being denied anything, again?

What you don't like here, it seems, is that religion is being used as an exemption from what you should be universal. As understandable as your feelings are, given your political bent, the unfortunate reality is that religious freedoms are just as important as all of the rest, whether you like and/or agree with that, personally, or not.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And lots of debt.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have no issues with this even if I have some disagreements with some of it.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You don't go in that debt to make 50,000 a year

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We need to tell that to the average college graduate.

Plus most doctors live a very high consumption life style after school staying in debt

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was aghast when I heard how much UT, UT, costs in tuition now. I was floored.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Ah, so it's the vehicle that is the concern

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A full blown libertarian government scares me as much as a totalitarian regime.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No we've just got lazy and want to out source everything to our government. That's why sense of community and trust of neighbors is down.

12. NorrisAlan

Or have certain things become so prohibitively expensive that the individual can no longer face the brunt of the cost and the communal entity must absorb it?

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Embrace it

Neal Boortz is our high priest

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Inflation has drove that train with our large government and high debt load

15. NorrisAlan

Inflation and government debt load has driven up the cost of medical care at 2-3x the standard inflation rate? (as best as I can tell from my limited knowledge on the subject)

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a very regulated market, which means its cost prohibitive due to the lack of competition and cost of doing business.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

there's a million different entities with tentacles of various kinds in the medical market. you should see the cost of supplies. I mean, I work in the veterinary arena, but we buy a lot of the same stuff from the same vendors.

18. NorrisAlan

Is this different from the computer industry, the housing industry or anything else? Honest question, because I do not know. I am looking for help educating myself in this stuff.

The food industry is also heavily regulated, no? Yet food is cheap.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes and no. Food is not incredibly regulated till it is processed. However the price of food is dramatically increasing too.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah, everything's regulated, everything has someone's tentacles in it, but I'd say nothing matches the health industry. Government, insurance, pharma vs FDA, etc etc.

As far as supply costs, at UT we've got an exclusive contract with Company A, and "Company B sells it for 60% as much" is NOT a valid reason to breach contract. And I don't know their margins, but "health care" and "scientific" products are sold at dramatically inflated prices, IMO. I'm talking $42 for a pair of stainless steel scissors.