Corporate Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Mar 26, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've never understood this birth control outrage from the left. if you want your $40 a month for birth control paid for don't work for a religious institution. you'd think we were talking about cancer treatments or something that costs $10K a year.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't see it as forcing their beliefs or slavery. No one is forcing an individual to work for these entities against their beliefs.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm not defending Obamacare.

4. JayVols

Again, I'm not defending Obamacare. Folks are assuming I am because I'm a Democrat.

But if Hobby Lobby wins, a dangerous precedent has been set. What I'm talking about is bigger than Obamacare.

5. JayVols

But it's ok to complain about that one, right?

6. JayVols

Hobby Lobby isn't a religious institution.

Serious question:

Are corporations mandated to make religious accomodations for employees?

7. JayVols

I found this:

If Hobby Lobby wins, I can see employees using the decision to turn the tables on employers. Careful what you ask for...

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No. It's hypocrisy for it to suddenly be an issue now. These same leftist idiots haven't said the first damn word of Holder's idiotic approach to our laws.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Accommodations on the part of employers is ludicrous.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This article is 100% about Obamacare. Why isn't it about illegals and selective deportation? Is that an unmanageably slippery slope?

11. JayVols

I don't disagree.

I'm of the opinion that laws should be enforced. But I'm old fashioned I guess.

I've learned that the worst rules (laws in this case) in the classroom are the ones you're either unwilling or unable to enforce. Does nothing but undermine authority, imho.

12. JayVols

I posted the article to rustle jimmies- for fun.

The issue in the case before the Court, however, is no joking matter.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed wholeheartedly. The selective nature of the greater media is pathetic. I'm shocked anyone still listens, unless they're reinforcing worldviews.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Kagan, Sotomayor and Ginsburg are jumping in with both feet to disallow homie from acting upon his religious beliefs, all in the name of freedom. It's almost funny. They're acting like drawing a line somewhere is impossible, but stumble over themselves to support the idiocy that Roe Wade is somehow something other than arbitrary.

15. JayVols

It's a decision that will have far-reaching implications.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not following you. There used to be no mandate to provide healthcare at all, let alone things like birth control and plastic surgery

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

For Obamacare. Otherwise who cares. The issue is paying the penalty. Those 3 [itch bay]es said the alternative is simply pay a penalty.

That's essentially a religion tax for business owners.

18. JayVols

Ok. One more time, I'm talking about religious/corporate/individual issues- not healthcare.

19. JayVols

I don't know. Forget it's over Obamacare. I see this particular instance as a defining moment on how far a corporation can impose their religious beliefs on workers and their ability to skirt federal law using religion as an excuse. Bigger picture.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then why did you respond to my post?