COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Happy Nick Cage gif

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just schools being out puts a huge dent in local traffic normally.

utvol0427 likes this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s definitely true but this is a whole other ball game which means people are staying home. I assume a lot of it is companies sending folks home.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

TAT on test results depends on which test you're using and whether you have to send it out to a reference site or not. Each company's test runs on that company's instrument (not every hospital has one), and they all have different speeds of testing. There's still a very limited supply of tests at the moment, so they're being allocated to the largest reference labs, who can test the fastest and cover the biggest area geographically, as well as the areas with the highest numbers of confirmed cases. There are a lot of big time medical institutions that can't get their hands on tests right now because they just aren't available.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Home tests available soon.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The morning commute traffic seems to be about what it normally is when schools are out. During the day and evening commute have been pretty normal so far this week.

7. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I'm in Greene County and with my job travel around to Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, etc. I expected to see a pretty drastic drop in traffic but it's been just as busy as ever from what I can see here in East TN.

utvol0427 likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, not much difference that I've seen. Had to go from Knoxville to Crossville and back Tuesday afternoon and it was normal traffic.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s been less than normal for me but I agree, about like normal no-school traffic. Alcoa Hwy from Sevier Heights will be backed up when humanity is extinct

10. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

That's why I keep saying that the "guidelines" won't work. They'll have to mandate us to stay in our houses except once a week to go to the grocery store or pharmacy IMO to make it work. It will suck, but I still think it's the fastest way to get back to the new normal. Things will friggin never be the same after this. Even if we get this under control the very first sign of a new virus or something hitting in the future will shut shit down immediately due to panic and not wanting this to happen again. At least for a decade or so. JMO

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Fastest way to get back to normal is to start testing every single person once a week for 3-4 weeks, isolating the positives, and allowing the negatives to go back to normal activity.

There is no excuse for us to not be doing this already.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Where are you?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Until we start testing everybody, we won’t know the size of the storm.

utvol0427 and A-Smith like this.
  14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Work in Knoxville and live in North Knox County.

TennTradition likes this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Dooz 2020

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

you guys act like we have a lot of time. shit will hit the fan, if it is going to, in early April

17. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

If they locked us down tomorrow for two weeks then early April could still look a lot different than it's going to if people just keep running all over creation because they are bored and hanging out together. I understand what you are saying though.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Europe is really blowing up. France, Germany, and Spain all have 10k+ cases, and the three combined don't eclipse Italy by all that much.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Can somebody explain how the at home testing would work?

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think the forced home quarantine of all people over 70 may be the most effective tool I've heard about. They are the ones who are going to fill up the hospitals. There would have to be a massive social/government commitment to looking after these people.

Some of the stuff I am seeing is saying that our healthcare is going to be completely overwhelmed even if all the other measures are taken. Even that Stanford doctor sees that as a likely scenario.