COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You can (and I am almost convinced) this was a Chinese oops, but yeah, not in response to a trade war.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah pretty sure it didn’t start in the wet market like reported by the Chinese government

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not seeing the basis for this to be a China oops. this was a predicted kind of zoonotic jump.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It happens so often, it was only a matter of time before one of them was infectious enough to get loose and bad enough to start some shit. It's really the perfect storm here.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It was already 10+ years overdue, and it’s a big reason why he was elected. Couldn’t wait, shouldn’t have waited.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't even see the connection.

7. Tenacious D

Between what? Trump’s trade war with China?

That’s what I’m talking about - not this “the Chinese did it as retaliation” silliness.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, I think we are in agreement. There is no relationship between this outbreak and trade negotiations with China.

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I didn't say it was true. But is it too much to think that a Communist country would sacrifice its own to weaken its enemy?

If you don't think China would kill off a fraction of their population to weaken America, you are delusional about China.

10. GahLee

Was long overdue, but just because you have your blinker on doesn't mean you can change lanes. He [uck fay]ed up. And he is continually [uck fay]ing up with his handling of the virus. Could easily cost him the 2020 nomination. Dems are certainly banking on it and I bet China is too.

11. GahLee

You say this with absolute certainty. I say what I say with curiosity. At least allow yourself to entertain the possibility that your wrong.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Always. but there is no logical basis for believing there is a connection at this time. you often fall into a conspiratorial mindset where you conflate lack of total certainty with counter evidence. What evidence exists that china intentionally created this virus? How has it helped them? How COULD it, specifically in relation to trade? Why did they not deploy it more broadly early on?

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll play. Disclaimer, I don't really believe any of the following, but I don't believe any of it is absolutely impossible either.
    1. None, other than it started in China, but leaving no trace of it being an operation would be a goal here obviously.
    2. China loves population control, but that's a side benefit and probably not a motivating factor at all. There's also the increase dependency on the government angle, but do they really need that at this point? I don't think so, but I'm no expert on any of this. There are no obvious ones at present, but that's just looking at the here and now and not over the next few months.
    3. The US economy has been humming along, and it's president has been playing trade war games with China. An economic downturn, regardless of how it came about, would decrease Trump's reelection chances in the general election. Any of his current challengers would likely reverse Trump's direction on trade with China, and China could go about building itself into the manufacturing center for the world.
    4. Too much too soon and you risk doing more damage than you intend (yeah, I know you can't control something like this in a real world environment, but someone who would actually try this might), or it becomes more obvious that this was an operation from the start.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Supposedly the bat that could have carried this is 600 miles away from Wuhan. Also some hubbub about portions of the virus appearing to have been genetically altered. No idea if any of that is true.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But if China did this intentionally, why not just infect a few Chinese guys that regularly travel to America?

16. Tenacious D

Correct.

Now, how this strain got out in China and why they were screwing with it, is perhaps a good conspiracy to flesh about.

But no, I don’t think it makes any sense whatsoever for China to infect themselves with a plague as a retaliatory response to Trump / the trade war with the US.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't seem to be the opinion of relevant experts, though I suppose that could change.

18. Tenacious D

I don’t even know how to respond to this, and so I won’t.

19. Tenacious D

But there are so many and infinitely easier ways to accomplish this, and without the need for a virus.

China is a communist country, meaning, they can do anything that they want, without recourse. Stop factories from operating, kidnap or kill people, etc.

20. Tenacious D

Why not just release it in America, like via one of the three (3) members of the People’s Army who were assisting the Harvard professor who was just busted.

Or via any number of the bajillions of products that they export to the US each month?