COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, absolutely. You missed the parts where people were giving him massive amounts of shit for downplaying the severity of this crisis in January, February and the beginning of this month?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no president is going to shut down the country and economy with that little information.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

of course left leaning, spite filled dems will make it political. We wondered what their next [itch bay]fest would be about. Now, a virus taking over the world is on Trump. you can't make it up.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and downplaying the severity made this worse how?

5. Unimane

He's the president, right? There are options at hand, right?

6. Ssmiff

or freak people the [uck fay] out while WH advisors, CDC and FDA try to find out wtf is going on. "you are all gonna die if you don't stay indoors for 2 months", wouldn't work very well.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Friend who is a nurse and deals with a lot of older age mental issues swears he has dementia.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm not asking for a country-wide shutdown on Day 1. Just a comprehensive testing plan in the areas that are affected and localized shutdowns. You also begin reinforcing medical supplies before the first positive test.

Like I said, with new information coming out about the fast rate of infections, I don't know if you could have actually contained it to the west coast. But we never had a chance.

9. Unimane

You mean like how right wingers were immediately trying to say Obama waited too long in 2009 for the H1N1 virus as criticism of Trump ratcheted up.

Dude, of course it will be political. You think only "left leaning, spite filled dems" are the only ones to make national events political? Like Benghazi or about a million things Obama did? Or, how Democrats have "forgotten about 9/11"? Can't tell you how many times I heard that shit in the 2000s. But, it's eminently reasonable to question how the national response to a crisis was handled. Very reasonable.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The guy broke down on his own answer and started calling it stupid on a news interview.

Trump isn’t the most polished speaker in the world but is pretty quick and funny on his feet. It will be ugly

justingroves likes this.
  11. Unimane

Oh, give me a break. We had huge warnings from the CDC, WHO and other examples, as well as examples of how the situation was developing in other countries to guide us. At the very least, saying this wasn't a problem was exceptionally irresponsible. Perhaps getting rid of the pandemic response unit was a bad idea, right? Can we, at least, agree Trump [uck fay]ed that up? People can't keep carrying water for every dumb ass thing he says and does.

There's a wide gap of options between what he did and "you are all gonna die if you don't stay indoors for 2 months".

12. Ssmiff

Nobody I came across in person, facebook, IG, twitter or wherever said jack shit about Obama during h1n1. They didn't question if he should have shut down the country at that time, or didn't do enough, or was too late. But since you and others decide to go there and blame Trump, I expect you did the same when 15k died from h1n1? I don't care if that was different than cv, flu or whatever. I assume you chose not to blame anyone. Its a [uck fay]ing virus. Plague. It was coming and nothing is going to stop it except running its course or a vaccine, imo.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It has been proven the Obama administration purposely miss lead the American people on Benghazi with information that they knew to be false.

But still used it to paint the narrative that they wanted

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Unemployed Food Service Workers. I give to these folks - https://thegivingkitchen.org/

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

The strategy for combating the virus currently depends on people taking it seriously. De Blasio shit the bed on this in NYC, too.

TennTradition likes this.
  16. Unimane

Eh, 4 years ago you could see Trump mentally become exhausted and fall apart at about 45-60 minute marks of each of the three debates. Now, he's 4 years of worse for the wear and he's noticeably less sharp than even then. He's not going to be in an arena of adoring cult followers, so his act won't go over as well. It will be an underwhelming debate on both sides. You all tend to overrate how badly the Republican will "dominate" the Democratic in such situations, anyway. I remember the same things being said about Romney against Obama and the same about how Trump would decimate Hillary.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It's not a stretch.

He was the "somebody other than Bernie" pick.

Not that they had a ton of options but hes a terrible one.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or much public scrutiny

lumberjack4 and Unimane like this.
  19. Unimane

No, as soon as people started criticizing Trump, they started in with the "what about the flu?" and "what about Obama and H1N1?" stuff. The point I was making is you seem to think the dastardly lefties are the only ones who do bad things, like politicize stuff. It's politics. Of course politicians do politician stuff.

TennTradition likes this.
  20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Obama had the gift of speech and a media that pushed him.

Joe will have the later in a different way but will fall woefully short with the other.

His chances increase the less he talks.