COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of hard to say we are all of a sudden not a first world country because we are getting out of the comfort zone using medicines against a disease spreading so rapidly that we've had so little time to study.

South Korea has evidently been using the drug quite a bit and they seem to be the COVID-19 gold standard right now.

The UK, France, and Italy are all using it to some degree.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because it is based on a non doctor who owns a stake in the supplier, and not on concrete evidence.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a fascinating precedent for regulation. Can't wait for Goop to come out with its COVID fighting gel.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It’s based on recommendations from doctors that have treated more of this stuff.

MaconVol, justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not a doctor, but it appears there are way more doctors saying this is worth a shot than advising against it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We have a proposed mechanism of action and evidence from other diseases that the drug can affect viruses. This wasn’t just pulled out of thin air.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Appears so how?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not saying it doesn't work. It may. But it plays into a growing trend towards returning to the days of just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks broadly, without studies.

9. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Is Trump the non-doctor you are referring to? What makes you think he owns a stake in "the supplier" (I strongly doubt there is one supplier for a generic drug. And if there currently is one supplier, it will not be for long.).

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Growing trend?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is more than one supplier, yes. Forget it, I don't feel like talking about hows, as I'm objecting to process and not ends.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Homeopathy, holistic, "all natural," secret conspiracy cures, secret drugs "held up" by "red tape." "See? They held it back!" When they didn't. But maybe should have until there was evidence.

13. CardinalVol

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That isn’t anything new, nor is it throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you say so.

17. CardinalVol

By reading articles from all over the board.

From stuff non-media folks that understand this more than I are saying/retweeting.

Just, in general.

I know orange man bad, but give me a break. If a doctor gives a patient something because patient said Trump said it would help them and the doctor has reservations about it, he should have his medical license yanked.

warhammer, MaconVol and Tenacious D like this.
  18. CardinalVol

You do you IP.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The reading I've seen expresses caution.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm serious, what is it you are saying about that article? It's saying there is reason for optimism that the measures are working.