COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, damn those riots and protests

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If this is due to outdoor activities like riots and protests, and it might very well be, hang on to your butts when school opens up.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

that we got to the 900's so fast from the 200's doesn't bode well for what the new peak will be, with a sustained 50k a day new cases. this is the 25k a day cases beginning to age into the fatality/survival state for the most part.

I don't think we will break the daily highs experienced back in may, but I am nervous because of the speed of the ramp up so far.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

look at the locations, protests may have been a factor but clearly are not the driver.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If it wasn't, masks and social distancing doesn't work

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

people were not wearing masks or social distancing very well as states opened. there is documentation of this.

7. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Lol at the idea the US as a whole has adopted the mask wearing and social distancing measures for any amount of time.

8. fl0at_

Hard to wear a mask while you are eating food indoors, in a restaurant.

I do not believe social distancing is enough, indoors. Outdoors, sure, 6 feet. Indoors. Eh

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But not all states that opened are getting spikes

Is this the 2nd wave everyone said was coming regardless of what we did?

Indy likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People are stupid

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Also as the protested and rioted

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it is a continuation of the first wave. Many of the southern states began reopening before ever actually containing it. They closed after northern states, the thing smoldered, and then they opened back up while it was still smoldering. Part of all of this is we are ignoring how much interstate activity and interconnectivity there is.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it were that simple the northeast would be worse than Florida. The size of protests in Florida were much smaller than those in the northeast. Heck smaller than most places-- yet they are in front?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Contact tracing seems to indicate indoor dining and bars is where a lot of transmission is occurring. Contact tracing, so far as I know, has not found much transmission occurring from outdoor protests.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This really worries me about schools and how many grandparents are taking care of kids in the US these days.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dumbssses travelling from everywhere to there is a lot to it, in my opinion

OneForVol likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There's still no data saying kids transmit it. They very well MAY, but there is no hard evidence.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

We weren't really in the 200s, though. But, it's a definite move up. 7-day moving average of deaths/day has moved up about 100 over the last few days.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It doesn't seem like a 2nd wave to me. It just looks like states that never had it that bad and are now hot where people are spending a lot of time indoors and moving around a lot more.

20. fl0at_

It's a virus. Kids absolutely transmit it. Will get sick from it. Will pass it on. Once school opens up, this will be clear. It's a virus. It behaves like a virus.