COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I told him to pick a dedicated poop corner.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Shelby County Schools closed through March 30th. Assuming the suburbs will follow suit.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Going to get ugly with the economy.

We have a house of cards built with huge amounts of debt at every level up the ladder. And an economic system built around consumer spending with money that they don't have

We need to get back to having production here.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Smart. Gotta have a dpc

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We started spring break today and I've at least convinced a couple of people that if schools shut down after break we probably need to follow suit. I'll consider that a win.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Public schools in Tennessee are preparing for remote learning

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think it’s silly, but the league can’t justify being open of the schools are closed and people probably won’t show up anyway.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Nascar races have been postponed down here.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't necessarily think a little league park is going to be a major epicenter of activity, but I think if everything else shuts down we can't go on as normal.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m just shocked we haven’t resumed press briefings, haven’t heard any sound domestic policy on what we are doing, no indication of when we’ll actually be able to fulfill the promise made weeks ago of if you want to be tested you can be tested. A travel ban from Europe may be a positive factor in slowing this - but it isn’t a solution. I know Trump closed the flu pandemic office in the White House in 2018 - but these people still exist. They must be doing their jobs. So what are we doing?

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I thinks so. A certain portion of the economy should be based on manufacturing, agricultural, etc. productivity. For service based jobs, the going rate for people's time is very arbitrary. The subjective value of a college class, a lawyer's time, a concert, a ballgame, etc. have risen dramatically over the last 100 years. Why? Well, we have more available income for those things. But it is still subjective, and it is hard to say what the objective value of them are when the economy is in a free fall. In general the more luxurious and/or intangible something is, the more elastic it's price is when there is an economic downturn.

13. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

It's alot of overreaction going on. I believe we need to be safe but the mass hysteria is something else. I personally just transferred money from Savings into my Ameritrade account as the market is getting to be in a good spot for investing.

justingroves likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Exactly

15. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Literally the amount of people that have died worldwide is under 5000, which is just so infinitesimally small compared to other things.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

manufacturing jobs just don’t pay well. There is nothing wrong with being a service economy

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Im still out. I think periods of isolation are still going to come and with that an economic hit. I’ll need to see better signs of a turnaround in cases before I’m back in.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

At some point, places are going to start closing/canceling even if it isn't necessary just to cover their asses.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Have you read about Baumol's cost disease?

20. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

I think we are kinda already seeing that as in places closing to cover their asses.