COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I really hope we don’t get the plug pulled again for any extended amount of time.

it’s scary how out of shape so many of the kids are coming back to school.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It really is across any sports which require strength and stamina, where kids havent been allowed to do much. In march they could run all day. Now gassed within minutes. Physically and mentally not in great places imo.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Our downward slope has leveled off on new cases and new deaths... hopefully just a blip, not a trend.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I saw where Sweden's cases and deaths have gone way down. Has anyone heard what Sweden's society is like right now? I'm not talking about what is mandated.

Are people going about their lives because it is over there or are they hunkered down and that's why numbers are now low?

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There is a school in Rutherford County that completely went online after 2 cases. Fine. But if that was all it was ever going to take to shut it down then why ever start? Are decision makers too dumb to predict that there will be cases. I get there are costs/benefits on both sides of these decisions, but if two cases are going to alter the plan then there was absolutely no foresight.

Related rant, my wife is teaching again this year. She signed up right before everything hit in March and felt obligated to stay on. 40% of Rutherford County students have opted for online and 60% for face to face. Her principal has given every teacher on her grade level about that ratio of online and face to face students. So she's expected to keep online and face to face learners engaged all day long. It just absolutely enrages us that they woudn't give some teachers the online kids and others the face to face.

7. CardinalVol

We've got dedicated online teachers here to alleviate that problem.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is because it is politicized. If you don't TRY to open and go about your business, you are part of an elaborate conspiracy to control people.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My wife volunteered to teach just online and they said nah we're just going to make all of you do both.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I think this is right.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They should let teachers that are worried about the virus teach online. If there are more than enough, give priority to age or underlying medical conditions. But that would make too much sense for the board of education.

dknash and IP like this.
  12. CardinalVol

That's crazy. It won't work.

utvol0427 and IP like this.
  13. fl0at_

Bit a both. They are, and have been, going on with their lives, as normal. But, Sweden kind shuts down in the summer, every year, anyway.

So its tough to weigh in, on them, right now.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It makes teachers mad and will make parents mad. Between that and all the cleaning, the kids will probably learn about half as much. The principal told the teachers to carry their webcams down the hall when they go to the library and such so that the at home students would have a "social connection." I would quit if I were her due to the idiocy, but she says she'll get blackballed and wants to keep teaching going forward.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anderson County has the teachers teaching their class with a zoom active for the at home kids (mine are at home). So it isn't dedicated teachers one way or the other, which is insane seeing as at lease 25% of the class is staying home, and that is just what I am aware of.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I can definitely see why so many want to home school right now if they have the time and means.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Already talked to the wife about that, if this thing goes sour too badly.

Damn, my kids don't want ME as their mathematics teacher! "Daaaaad, we don't care WHY square root of two is irrational. We don't CARE about the fundamental theorem of algebra and why it is so important! DAAAAAAAD!"

justingroves likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

Each grade at the schools here has 1 or 2 full-time online teachers for lower grades. Not 100% how it is working at high school though. They've been staggering days in 4-7 and full time K-3 (we have weird grade breakouts here). 4-7 starts 5 days a week Monday.

So far a few kids have come down with it, and 2 teachers (one was online only) system wide, so it's worked well.

19. fl0at_

If I had an older kid, his entire home school would be game development. We'd have a full engine with rudimentary graphics by end of semester or he failed.

That's math, language, art and computers.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Blount County as best practices leader. Another 2020 curve ball