COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Kids are carriers. Been known forever. We kept my kid out an extra week, just to see. Might do two, depending.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my kids school delayed until Jan 18th which makes sense. It’s going crazy here and I know a bunch of people who got it on Christmas Day after seeing family

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We let one son go back to school last October after Fall break because he was emotionally needing to return. We have brought him back home this week after the Christmas break. I understand the schools are in a no-win situation here, but man it sucked having to make that decision.

Sucked.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

isn't there a shutdown and mask mandate in Cali right now?

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Mask mandates don’t seem to work very well against house parties, backyard gatherings, and Sunday family dinners at grandmas.

6. fl0at_

Masks only work when everyone wears them. And people don't wear them. It is what it is.

7. Ssmiff

Seems like growth would be slowed down a little instead of seeing record cases, with business being shut down especially.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well that becomes a really difficult thing to measure. What would it look like with businesses open as well.

9. fl0at_

How are you determining that growth isn't being slowed?

Simply because something is large doesn't mean it can't be larger.

A chubby guy who eats BK every day will get fatter. A chubby guy who eats BK every other day will also get fatter.

SetVol13 likes this.
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes but people are hanging out indoors without masks. i think the no outdoor dining mandate has actualy made a bunch of people decide to just hangout indoors at home so it's been somewhat counterproductive

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  11. Ssmiff

Just looking at california case numbers going from a few thousand a day to 35-40k at times recently. Seems to me thats quite a bit of case growth and i dont know if it can be all attrinute to house parties and cookouts

12. fl0at_

Right, but what makes you think it couldn't be 75-150k per day?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you look at where the spread is coming from it's mostly minority areas and immigrants. many of those people don't have jobs they can do remotely, they also tend to live with lots of family, and culturally are expected to hang out with extended family pandemic or not.

IP likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, a lot larger household sizes. A lot more unavoidable mobility for work. A lot more multigenerational households. More comorbidities among some of those same groups. It isn't rocket science.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is why the numbers in san francisco have been so much lower than the rest of the state. mostly remote workers, college educated, small households.

16. Ssmiff

I suppose it could. Florida isnt shut down and many places dont require masks. Why arent they at 150k per day?

17. Ssmiff

Ok that makes sense. I havent looked at location and demographics. Are hospitals still under strain for icu beds there?

18. fl0at_

Florida's case per 1M population number is higher than California. Florida is seeing greater spread.

IP likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah they basically are at max capacity. i've been told they can handle what they have now, but it if it gets worse it will be a problem. the people who got it over christmas (which i know a lot including my brother in law's family) are now in the thick of it so it could get worse.

20. Ssmiff

I do see calis death rate is lower than many other states. If most are minorities,who have been hit harder and have a generally have higher death rate, why would it be lower?