COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Damn. I hope that isn't signs of that new variant doing damage.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

On the one hand, they live more densely in some respects. On the other, this could be the result of the dominance of the UK variant, in which case we will see another uptick between now and March as it becomes the dominant strain here that otherwise we may not have.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So we are calling this variant the British Flu, right?

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Have a feeling spring outdoor sports will get shut down again, robbing the kids another season, after wrestling, basketball, volleyball and other HS indoor sports finish.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

there is a Tory who is butt hurt about "UK variant". and he was and is a "Chinese flu" guy. like a virus gives a [uck fay] about geopolitics

emainvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If the South Africa variant becomes dominant strain, probably. And it'll be another 400,000 deaths in a year. Unless the vaccine for that one undergoes even more rapid dev to stick than the first, already incredibly rapid, vaccine.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Wouldn't it be easier to develop a vaccine targeting a variant than it was to develop the original vaccine?

Also, I was under the impression that the prevailing opinion, at least as of now, is that the vaccine will still work, albeit with lower efficacy.

I know you talked about this above, but this is what I was reading when epidemiologists were starting to sound the alarm a few nights back.

8. fl0at_

Even if the vaccine is useless against this variant, the vaccine is still useful against others, or if and when this variant mutates further.

I haven't seen anything definitive about whether the antibodies formed due to the vaccine show efficacy against this variant; just hopes and speculations. Unless there is newer information. But it seems a bit early.

The struggle with a vaccine isn't development. It is safety. Anytime you change the markers, the delivery, or anything like that related to a vaccine, there are safety concerns.

So given that, the question is whether it would be considered a new vaccine, and need all new trials.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Makes sense. Pfizer has said they can update in 6 weeks, so hopefully that's a signal that it won't be completely new.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is this still as true with mRNA vaccines as they are with traditional vaccines? The only change would be the mRNA sequence, updated to mimic the spike of the South Africa variant or other variants.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

my fear is a scenario where we keep lagging behind the next strain and this just keeps going

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm okay with it

14. fl0at_

You don't want to risk creating a sequence that causes the immune system to attack the host. So, I'd say, very much, yes.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

16. fl0at_

IP likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's a relief. now crank them out and get them into people fast.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Just found out my neighbor is scheduled to get her second dose next week. She's early 20s and works at a daycare part time, yet she managed to get the vaccine in the initial phase. Dafuq?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

huh.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

She doesn’t care for an elderly family member does she? Were daycares prioritized?