COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The older I get, the bolder I get with my parents. The tables have been turned. I am he who nags. They are the whiners.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So 1 in 4 kids getting the vaccine have side effects, and there is a risk of heart inflammation. Is there a greater risk than actually getting covid in this situation? With cdc constantly changing their tune, we may never know. And im sure some don't want us to know.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Source for this report, please? I would like to know more about it.

4. Ssmiff

I just googled latest cdc news and saw a few articles. It's being downplayed a little and cdc still says risks of myo and peri inflammation are still higher from getting covid than from the vaccine, but I haven't trusted reports of much of anything in some time. Supposedly, the risk is 12 per million and mainly under 30 men getting pfizer vaccine. I do not know what the rate is of heart inflammation for those under 30 who have had covid

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

There does appear to be higher than background rates of myocarditis is young populations (but just normal background rates in older populations) among the vaccinated. The risk appears to be very low but it does seem there is some kind of inflammation risk.

As for the side effects at 1:4, I’m not sure what that is referring to. Seems low to be honest giving how many adults have had side effects. Seems like more than 1:4.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what’s a side effect? Like a fever like most adults?

7. Ssmiff

All of them I believe...pain, swelling, fever, fatigue..Something about having better immune systems and response resulting in higher % having side effects than older adults.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’d be ok with my kids having a fever and fatigue for a day like I did if it meant real protection

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Question may be asked, is the vaccine real protection or natural antibodies and immune system equal or better in healthy kids the real protection. Still a lot we don't know about vaccines, including some VAERS data that needs to be clarified

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Natural immunity seems to pretty much end by 8 years old from what I’ve read.

11. Ssmiff

Yeah I don't know. I will say my 14 year old had it and had a fever for about 12 hours, but that was it. Of course it's a little hindsight I guess, but I'm more comfortable that he's had it, versus been vaccinated for protection. That's just my opinion. My wife and I both vaccinated and I'm glad I did. I'm not anti or pro Vax. I'm more about each person should make their own choice and others should let them choose without shaming either way.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

One thing that will need to be considered with myocarditis is whether there is a chance these people had a previous infection, with maybe the virus staying latent in heart cells. Then when they get the vaccine, it could stimulate the immune system to go attack that latent virus in those heart cells.

Which wouldn't be a result of the vaccine, it would be a result of the vaccine + unknown previous infection. Just something that would need to be considered.

Ssmiff likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The vaccines are working.

14. Ssmiff

I still don't know about teens getting them. 13 yr old died recently in his sleep after pfizer. No underlying issues.
    Re cause of death, that's good to hear, but when covid was labeled for cause of death for heart attacks, strokes, PE's, etc etc during its peak, the numbers were skewed a bit imo

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They were some but it was pretty insignificant. Straightforward statistical analysis shows that, which is why when in the middle of a pandemic that is the policy. Otherwise we’d be waiting weeks to see why someone died when we are trying to fight emerging pockets. And excess deaths ran consistently higher than COVID deaths which supports the idea we weren’t crazily inflating numbers.

With that said we need to look at every post-vaccine death amd understand it.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Kids went from being 2% of cases to being 24% of cases, currently. Still low hospitalizations for the age range, but I imagine there have been more hospitalizations and other issues associated with the virus than with the vaccine.

But, it's a numbers game, either way.

17. Ssmiff

I get that but as a parent of 3 "healthy" kids, I won't be pushing them to get the vaccine.
    And not sure we can account for how many asymptomatic kids there were when at its peak, so I doubt the 2% is correct. Hell, they were called superspreaders.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My kids got their first dose last weekend and get their second in two weeks. I didn't even hesitate. The data is pretty solid that is not harmful in any meaningful way, yet can help the spread of the disease.

Kids die from all kinds of medicines and foods that they didn't know they had an allergy to, but the numbers support getting it. Would be like not flying because of that one plane crash you read about.

19. Ssmiff

That's your choice Norris. I trust their immune systems more than the vaccine. And it has nothing to do with not flying in a plane.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does this mean?