COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The data is real, of course. But the interpretation of that data can be deeply flawed. it is the old example of "Lack of Pirates Causes Global Warming!" Now, in this case, the link between vaccines/retardants and getting the disease is a bit closer than Pirates and Global Warming, but the fallacy is the same.

We humans evolved to see patterns, and this has been a great, great strength of ours. However, the more complex our societies get and the deeper our understanding of the universe goes, the more our innate pattern finding fools us. You see Jesus in that felled tree at your house, and jokingly talk about it. Others would ACTUALLY see Jesus in it and think it is a shrine to be preserved forever. And this is why we need multiple studies, multiple people looking at the data and then defending their arguments.

This one paper making this claim vs the 100's that counter that claim is no different than the autism fiasco. And it is dangerous.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Norris are there 100s of studies in regards to the more boosters one gets, the less chance they get covid? All this data showed, for whatever reasons, was those who received more covid shots, appeared to get covid at a higher rate. Again, I don’t know what that means exactly, but it’s quite the opposite of “you won’t get covid if you get the vaccine.”, which we were told by the POTUS. I’ve not seen one of you yet address those comments, but instead deflect to people dying and drinking disinfectant. It’s ok to call out everybody who spouts bullshit, and not just trump OR Biden, but both.

3. NorrisAlan

The POTUS is not a scientist. A former POTUS said we would not have forest fires if we raked the forest floors like Finland.

Did Fauci ever say "you won't get the disease"? I cannot find him saying that. He said "you will be safe", not "immune", as far as I can tell. Most scientists hedge what they say a ton, where as lay people like you and me (and any POTUS), will say things that are far more extreme.

4. Ssmiff

Fauci did say vaccinated people are a “dead end” for the virus and highly unlikely they transmit it. Neither comment was the truth. It’s better to say “we don’t know”.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You sure it isn't the truth? Let's look at the data for cases and severity, and how cases have come down relative to vaccination.

And what do you think fauci based that comment on? You think he made it up, or was basing it on studies to that point with the original strain?

6. NorrisAlan

Smmiff, may I ask a personal question? This topic seems deeply personal to you, and I am wondering if I am off base on that, and if I am correct, why?

Do you naturally distrust scientists and if so, why is that?

7. Ssmiff

Imo covid “went away” so to speak after pretty much everyone got the virus. Vaccines helped those at risk.
    I don’t know why Fauci said it. Did he initially say no masks needed based on current studies or just talk out of his ass like a politician.
    I think he had no idea and should have said as much. When Biden and others told America to get the vaccine as it would prevent them from getting covid, was that based on any studies?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, the original strain. Significantly reduced infections. Also still reduces risk, severity/risk of death and it is plainly evident in studies when you compare to unvaccinated. The study you shared only looks among the vaccinated so there is no say to compare it to no vaccination.

9. Ssmiff

IP, Biden did not say that due to information he gained from a study. He got caught in the hype and push for vaccines and misspoke, got ahead of himself or intentionally misled. People would have more trust if in all these instances leaders would say they “don’t know” when they don’t, versus statements presented as facts.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here we are 3 years into Biden. Did covid end or not? Are you sure he misled, or is it that you have been told a bunch of stuff all while covid has abated with widespread vaccines?

You seem to be arguing the solution didn't work and yet the problem ended coincidentally. Also that the vaccine is worse than the disease yet clearly there are less sick and dead now.
    The vaccines helped, were safe, and covid is moatly gone in terms of a pandemic. All the rest is posturing.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looked it up, mortality was over 14 times greater for unvaccinated than the recent bivariate vaccinated.

One has to cherry pick around any accounting for unvaccinated to paint a picture where vaccinations were and are not effective or more dangerous.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7206a3.htm

12. Ssmiff

1. You can credit biden for ending covid if you’d like. It’s a bit of a stretch. And to deny he misled when he said “you won’t get covid if you get the vaccine”, I don’t understand how you can say anything except “he shouldn’t have said it and was dead wrong.”
    2. Covid ran its course like viruses do. Vaccines helped protect higher risk. Doesn’t appear to me vaccines stopped the spread.
    3. Your last paragraph is you making up stuff. I didn’t ever once say the vaccine was worse than the disease. I hate when you do that and it happens too often. I may at one time have said my symptoms from the vaccine (2nd shot) were worse than from covid but that’s pretty common. We still have no idea how many millions of patients had it, were asymptomatic and never took a covid test.
    4. The link provided data about people with multiple booster vaccines getting covid more often, for im sure many reasons.
    5. It’s still my opinion natural immunity is better than the vaccine and boosters to follow, for the vast majority of us. If you want to tell me I’m wrong for that opinion, it’s fine. I’ve never had a flu shot for the same reason, and haven’t had a bad flu bug in 20 years.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Id you share links from people who believe it is worse than the disease and say they are right, it follows that you think that.

14. Ssmiff

i shared a link for discussion in regards to data from Cleveland Clinic, with no commentary Your response was “moronic.”, then proceed to go every direction and accuse me of saying the vaccine was more harmful than covid, entirely fabricated by you.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That was a twitter account making an assertion not made by the Cleveland clinic

16. Ssmiff

i just read the tweet again and do not see what you refer to. I don’t see any assertion.
    Are her statement and graph wrong?

Attached Files:

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Happy 4th, you bastages. Thankful I am alive to enjoy with family and friends.

Wife and I got 4 shots. We took advantage of the tests and got them if we thought there was the slightest possibility. We never got Covid. We never spread Covid. This was our biggest concern, transmitting to others less protected or at risk and/or facilitating its mutation because of us.

We never listened to any politicians, blogs or tweeters, only our family doc.

Enjoy your 4th.

CitrusCo.Vol and VolDad like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

WHAAAAAATT?

Poppa T and IP like this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I got vax’d & boosted twice and got COVID. It was very mild. Maybe vax helped that, maybe not. I’m not at all anti-vax but I do think the messaging was terrible. I also think that most anything scientific in nature that is packaged for the general public is messaged terribly

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you know who this person is or what she claims? https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...or-to-pay-1-million-in-legal-costs-libel-suit

I have no problem with the study itself and its conclusion:

"In conclusion, this study found an overall modest protective effect of the bivalent vaccine against COVID-19 while the circulating strains were represented in the vaccine and lower protection when the circulating strains were no longer represented. A significant protective effect was not found when the XBB lineages were dominant. The unexpected finding of increasing risk with increasing number of prior COVID-19 vaccine doses needs further study."

I do have a problem with someone insinuating vaccines do not work and that this study demonstrates that. If you require everyone most exposed to COVID to be vaccinated and the vaccine continues to mutate, it stands to reason that people most exposed for the most time will get it more over time. And that is what this shows. That's it. Nothing shocking about it. I expect if you required an annual flu shot for school teachers, and monitored for 5 years, you would find that people would have had the flu more times after five years than after 2. And likewise they would have had more flu shots after 5 years than 2. That doesn't demonstrate the flu shot doesn't work, that's literally how time works. You need a control. If you are not required to get a dose because you stop working there, or are exempt and not in a high risk work area, or you die, then your number of doses is flat but you were never at the same level of risk as the others. It doesn't mean what she has been saying for years. She was a quack before COVID, but COVID has been an opportunity to grow her platform.