Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jul 16, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Huh?

Are you asking whether there might be some 22 year old senior in college out there with writing talent who might one day gain readership numbers on the level of Simmons? If so, uh yeah, I suppose so, guy.

Or are you asking whether ESPN can hire a replacement for Simmons that will be as widely read as Simmons? If so, no. His readership numbers weren't created by the platform. There are thousands of others who use the same paltform so this should be fairly obvious. i thought we'd already been over this. What aren't you understanding?

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If it's so cut and dried, show the numbers.

I'll give you that there will be some effect, but ESPN was and is a machine. Simmons has little chance of having you defend his merits today had he been hired elsewhere and not ever worked for them.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

His work on television indicates that he isn't remotely aware of how little he actually understands basketball.

4. hatvol96

Then Simmons should be able to create his own platform and keep the same numbers. Let's see him do that.

5. hatvol96

Karl Ravech destroys Cowherd in that analysis.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate listening to Bill Simmons talk. I usually enjoy his writing.

7. kidbourbon

There are a shipload of writers for ESPN. Only one of those was the most widely read in the world. The platform obviously doesn't give you following. How are you still not following this?

And you can find numbers on Simmons readership yourself. That info is out there.

8. kidbourbon

His voice is objectively terrible.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think I laughed the first time I heard him talk.

10. hatvol96

That's the logic that led CNBC to pay Olberman a lot of money. How'd that turn out for them?

11. hatvol96

That logic also leads to the conclusion that Mickey Dearstone is one of the greatest morning drive sports talk hosts in the country.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Okay. Let me explain it in a different manner. ESPN will not miss a beat with him gone. It's incredible you can't see this.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree. It is entirely consistent with KB's persona that he can't see this.

14. kidbourbon

What do you mean by 'creating a new platform'? Like start a new multimedia company from scratch?

I've heard Simmons may end up landing at HBO. I forget where I heard that from, and so I can't speak to accuracy...just what I heard.

15. kidbourbon

What do you mean by "miss a beat"? Is the stock price going to go down? No. But are they going to lose eyes and ears that they would otherwise have? yes.

Based on this post I have no idea what exactly it is you're trying to say. It's as if you showed up to an argument party without your argument. Hopefully you at least brought pants.

16. kidbourbon

Jesus.

Space and time still aren't the same thing. And IP is still upset about this. Blame God, dude.

17. kidbourbon

I don't know who Mickey Dearstone is.

18. kidbourbon

I actually don't know. I have literally no idea what Olberman did after he left ESPN the first time. What i will say about Olberman is as follows:

1. He was actually a really good sportscenter anchor
    2. Whatever it is he was trying to do in his second stint just did not work at all, and actually confused me quite a bit. I didn't know what the hell was going on.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're lucky

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Any blip of an impact on ESPN market share will not be registered with this move. I'm sure they're wringing their hands over you and your three college buddies who care that he's no longer there. If you had anything beyond fan boy dedication to back up your argument, you'd have brought it out by now.