POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The ironic thing about politics is the young politicians hanging the 1980's around Biden's neck as proof how out of touch and backwards he is, will be in that very same position in 30 years when they're the old person running for office. The new young upstarts will point to how backwards they are due to positions they took in the 2010's and 2020's.

warhammer, justingroves and IP like this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bet it's later. their growth rate isn't sustainable. see japan post ww2 compared to today, united states post cival war compared to today etc.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've said for years that the BD is the best form of government possible. Just not sure it's possible for it to happen.

Imagine a leader (group of leaders) that could just set a course and lead a country there.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

no doubt. you ate real meat and not this lab grown alternative? Monster!

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The hardest thing about being married to my wife was getting her to understand that it wasn't realistic to have a house like her parents in her 20's. Ironically I ended up getting a nice promotion which allowed us to do just that rendering my argument invalid in her eyes. But she couldn't understand why it wasn't realistic to have what here parents did in their 50's when we were 27.

6. CardinalVol

Yeah, but can out current financial state make it to end of century? The spending rate increases are not sustainable.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't know. China is clearly very good at it. Will probably be a model for other countries over the next few decades. Russia might be trying to move back in that direction. Then again maybe it really only works when you have the massive scale of China.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you look at home ownership rates we are currently at 65 percent which is where it was in the 60s (it was higher during the housing bubble). that being said i don't understand how so many people here can afford homes given the prices.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think so. some tough choices will have to be made, but we have the ability to out earn the problem.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That’s at least a more reasonable way to put it. Btw based on what I understand of your career I’m assuming you weren’t a secretary for five years, though I get the point.

And I would definitely agree that people my age seem to feel like they are behind their parents when they aren’t (in terms of material possessions, ignoring the pure net worth aspect). And I don’t mean from an entitlement perspective either. More like we generally have a warped view of the cars our parents were driving and the types of houses they were buying at the same age. Not to play dimestore psychologist but I think social media really does play a big role there.

11. CardinalVol

Problem is our entire political thinking is going to have to change to do this.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

and the trauma of Japanese occupation, European subjugation, great leap forward... they lost a lot for several decades. it may have weakened the collective appetite for liberty in favor of an end to the turmoil.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don’t get the prices at all, in Charlotte, Knoxville or anywhere I’ve looked really. It always seems to be parents paying for it or absurdly over leveraging.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I will still be eating real meat.

I don’t get the lab grown stuff.

justingroves likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I mean if it's as good (or better) at the same price point, I'm not going to care. But I'm not paying a premium for something that tastes worse.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well exactly. i wasn't a secretary, but the understanding was that the way to get to know the business best was interacting with the clients and answering the phone. my partner specifically wouldn't answer his phone so that i got to know people. and my first job i was barely over a secretary. i filed shit. i made copies. etc. i wasn't allowed to do anything meaningful until i proved it.

i think social media is a huge factor. and years of people telling young people they are getting screwed only magnifies it.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there will become a point where we can't avoid it. the question is how down will we be. we should already be raising the social security retirement age and it would solve a lot of our current issues, but try getting that through congress.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we get a lot of foreign money here. also limited land and strong local economy. but still you have to be making huge money to afford a $2 mil house and there are apparently tens of thousands of people in LA who can do that.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’ll be worse for the environment. Might be better than factory farmed meat but properly managed grazing is the best practice we can do as a farming practice for the environment.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you know this nonexistent product will be worse? And what portion of the consumed meat in this country is from properly managed grazing at this time?

I'm all for properly managed grazing. All for it. But I don't see how fake meat is going to be worse than feedlots and the sort of concentrated intensive meat rearing going on now.