Denny's Fires first shots

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volguy1971, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought Papa John's fired the first shot when they cut a bunch of folk's hours right after giving away millions of free pizzas.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

5 %? Haha! Oh no, 5 % on my 10 dollar grand slam breakfast!

“Everyone’s looking for a way to not have to provide insurance for their employees."

Scum bag. Use folks up and dump 'em I guess.

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Papa John's fired the first shots for job losses and this buffoon fired the first shot of passing cost to consumers. Not to mention, this tool is cutting employee hours back to part time levels to avoid the penalties.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's a slum lord. He'd treat his employees like Chinese sweatshop workers if he could get away with it, apparently.

6. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Looks like I will get to continue avoiding shitty pizza and shitty breakfasts.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is huge news.

Denny's still exist. Wow.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't understand why he thinks this is such a disadvantage for him. Everyone has to do this, even his competitors. If he feels it will increase costs by 5 %, why will it be any different from his competitors? Instead, he is going to make a big deal about it by adding it as a "surcharge" and then in addition cutting as many people's hours as possible. Wonder what that will do for service? Employee retention? Sounds like idiotic business sense to me.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

29 hours and less means no insurance requirement. Darden Restaurant Group is actually the first group to try it, they just didn't make the headlines with it because they went about it sensibly. Others are watching to see how it works out for them.

I don't think Papa John's has fired anyone yet. Plus, those decisions are going to be made at the franchisee level, not from Papa himself. Also not sure how many of those Papa John's Inc owns.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I guess he didn't want to just increase the price, in a hidden manner. This way he panders to at least those few that want to "stick it tot he man."

Also, he has a lot of restaurants. That may not be the same for his "competitors."

Either way, he's still a [penis].

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

What ought to be done is have it legislated to where if an individual works more than 29 hours a week, but less than 29 hours at one place, the employers must collectively pay the insurance proportional to where the hours were worked. Trying to get out of it is truly disgusting. That's a human being they are actively working to **** over for apparently peanuts. 5% on cheap-ass Denny's meals?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Possible. But if I go to a restaurant and am being charged a bunch of surcharges, and not at another... Even if the prices come out the same I'm not going to the one that I feel is nickel and diming me. That is aside from the fact that I think he is scum.

13. CardinalVol

Maybe they should have taken time to actually read and debate the bill way back when instead of passing it in such hurried fashion?

14. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

anyone one look at red state revenge yet?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I called it a broke-[penis] plan back then, if you recall. I'm all for revisiting it and making it more efficient and clear.

16. CardinalVol

I honestly don't remember. I'll take your word.

It was a broken plan from the start. But the Democrats' (actually Pelosi/Reid/Obama to be specific as I think many Democrats were begging to slow down) desire to pass this damn thing to say they did it outweighed common sense in actually putting forth legitimate healthcare overhaul.

17. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

to be fair isn't the administration talking about cutting full time hours back to like 28 or 30 hours or something along those lines? I could've sworn i read or heard about this recently

18. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

If that happens, employers will cut hours down to 24 hours to avoid it.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's your change and hope in action

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I know I'm in the minority here, but that hasn't shut me up before. I see this similar to you IP- on a human level. Healthy happy employees are better employees. I can see the argument could be made about whether or not it's an employers responsibility to provide insurance, but it's a societal norm that was initially used as an incentive. All this could be removed with a single-payer system. Obama is gutless for not pushing for this. What we have now is a subsidy program for private insurance companies that many of those that oppose now favored 6-10 years ago.