Does It Bother Anyone...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That people don't dress up for work, church, dinner dates, etc. anymore? Or at least they do so less than what used to be the norm.

Floor is yours.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kinda odd seeing people in jeans and t-shirts in a church, but I understand that congregations don't want to come off as snobby or exclusive.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Define dressing "up."

I have to wear a [dadgum] tie to work, so I think I do dress up for that.

Other than that I'm probably guilty of not dressing up as you suggest. If I'm just out running errands or something I'll just throw on jeans and a t-shirt. The only difference for a date or going out to eat with friends would probably be a nicer shirt (polo, button up, what have you)... with jeans still.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Tidwell, if you didn't have to wear a tie to work do you think you would wear one anyway? (I'm assuming your tie is part of some sort of "professional dress code").

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Absolutely not. Yeah, it's the dress code.

Actually, now that I've had to do it for awhile I don't mind it as much and like it pretty well... but if left to decide at the beginning I probably wouldn't have gone for it.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I wear ties for work too. I've become something of a fan of a nice (40-50 dollar) tie.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i could wear a tie if i wanted to. it's not required to wear one, but everybody is encouraged to do it on Thursday, so i do.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i don't know. they call it Professional Thursday or something silly like that. i guess that day though, because we can wear jeans on Friday.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What got me thinking about this was a lady who walked through the communion line this morning wearing sweatpants. They used to call it "Sunday best" for a reason. I personally like dressing up... it gives me energy. But those days seem to be falling by the wayside.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't mind dressing up for church or to go out to eat with the wife. I do hate ties

My line of work doesn't usually allow me to dress very nice. If I'm meeting a potential customer or a current one, I will wear a nice button down and slacks, but I could also be digging a ditch later in the day. I'm usually in carhartt pants and a t-shirt.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That seems perfectly normal to me.

12. WM

WM Active Member

I blame the 80's and 90's . It's was just two decades of fashion hiccups that traditional wear couldn't recover from.
    The Steven Segal Canadian tuxedo/bolo tie was the nail in the coffin.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I work in a lab wearing a lab coat all the time, not much point dressing up there. I usually wear khakis and a halfway nice shirt to church although once in awhile it feels good to break out the suit. I don't really hate to wear ties but don't all that often.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll also add that the little man has put a damper on dressing nice. Gettin pooped, peed and spit up on makes you say screw it.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well now men wear "skinny jeans" so we aren't clear yet

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never understood dressing up for church. They Big Guy brings us into this world naked, toothless, and screaming, and is always aware of us and everything we do from bowel movements to ball scratches... Yet it is important to pretend like we aren't disgusting meat bags for a couple of hours each week?

I'd figure church would make more sense with a nudist sort of approach.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There's certainly no religious reasons for doing it. It is nice in (a quaint sort of way) that there are still some places you can go, dress up, and feel good about yourself. At least, dressing up makes me feel that way.

18. WM

WM Active Member

It bugs the hell out me when I see people in pajamas shopping at the grocery store.
    Then again it bugs the hell out of me when I see young skinny adults with no disabilities towing around on the motorized shopping carts.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I had to wear slacks and a tie to school every day in high school, so dressing up for things like church just kind of comes as second nature. Dinner dates kind of depends on the place. If it's a nice, expensive restaurant, then i will dress up.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

me too.