DOMA Struck Down / Prop 8 Dismissed

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by gcbvol, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I have went back and reread posts. No where did I say "my way or the highway". Does the scripture not say, "Not all that say Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of Heaven"? That is what I had said in a post where I think you got this, If this is it, then your problem with it is not with me.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I don't care either. Long and short of it is they don't have the support of either political party.

3. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Legislating consensual bedroom stuff is appalling to me. I don't even want to know.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That, and the statement is just terrible, and shows no understanding of the Constitution.

The law applies equally to all, nobody can have more than one spouse at a time: gay, straight, white black, brown yellow, whatever; one max... thus no constitutional challenge.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which is the key to all of this. It's not my business, not anyone else's, as to who is banging who.

6. Oldvol75

Why?????

7. fl0at_

Because that is how the legislation/rulings stand. When everyone is equal, there is no equality challenge... because everyone is equal.

Now, should there wish to be a removal of government from marriage, then you can move towards multiple spouses. Nothing inherently wrong with it, just that as it stands, everyone is equally restricted to one at a time. It would have to be changed with legislation, not court rulings.

The fundamental problem is divorce, and how to split up property. Let's say it is legal, and one guy has three wives, all living in the same house. Who gets the house if there is a divorce? Do you quarter the estate? What if the divorcee pulls the least income? Or stopped working because of children.

Just a hell of a hassle that would require serious alterations in law. But there is no inequality when everyone has the same maximum number of spouses.

8. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Says Caligvola....

9. Oldvol75

I honestly can't see how they could stop it. Even though law recognizes two to a marriage. I cannot see how you will be able to keep other type groups from wanting to have this. It may just be by small mind, but I see doors opening here.

10. fl0at_

There is no challenge under the equality aspect.

If I have one apple, and you have one apple, we have equal apples.

If I have one spouse, and you have one spouse, we have equal spouses.

If I have one spouse, and you have one spouse, and Bob wants two spouses, Bob is lobbying for unequal spouses. He has no Constitutional challenge to equality, because he is asking for something that isn't equal.

Thus the only avenue is a legislative challenge to change the ceiling, and there is no support for that in Congress

They may want it, but there is no support for it, and no court challenge to it.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I read a couple of articles yesterday (nothing mainstream of course) that said polygamists were thrilled with the ruling because it was the next step in their acceptance. They also viewed it as historic. What that means big scheme, I have no idea, just how they viewed it.

Side note - I always forget how homely and old fashioned looking most polygamists are. I really don't know any group other than the one Mormon branch that practices it.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[​IMG]

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The non-mormon ones organize into "pods." Really weird stuff.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

sounds sexy

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Polygamy and nudist colonies seem similar to me. You hear about it in theory and think "that could be fun", and then you see the people who actually practice it, and suddenly it's not nearly as fun anymore.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Nothing about having 4 wives sounds fun. One is punishment enough

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Normal people call that spooning.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm old fashioned, just get a mistress.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

know this: based on those of you i've met, i want no part of the 8th Maxim Nudist Colony.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The human centipede of spooning.