Dooley: [Penis] or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2012.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My take is that Dooley comes off as a [Penis] toward the players and is always too willing to deflect blame away from himself and toward the players...failing most of the time to even acknowledge it is his job to teach them. He is arrogant and has little apparent regard for his players. He is a snake oil salesman who thinks a drawl and orange pants will keep him a job that he is completely unqualified for, from what I can tell. He tries to stitch together a public image that he thinks will buy him time and favor while being essentially a scared man who will trod over his players with insults while serving up honey to the fans. He's sad, really. His players seem to hate him...as do those who have to work for him, it seems. It's one thing to be hard-nosed and critical yet respectable because of your ability and the culture you create - it is a completely different thing to be a horse's ass who no coaches or players want to follow because they are constantly left stepping in what you leave behind.

Or, he could be a good guy and heck of a coach - just misunderstood. Doubt it, though.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

If his players "misunderstand" him, then it is a fact that he isn't doing a great job of coaching.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll go with you TT- [Penis]. Perception is reality.

4. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

I tend to lean toward bad football coach.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's a [Penis] that doesn't like to be questioned because he doesn't have the answers. A real coach can take the blame for a shit sandwich because they know how to fix it, but Dooley has to lay the blame at others to deflict the real issues.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm gonna be honest: There aren't many guys in this business who are warm and fuzzy. I've met Majors, Fulmer and Kiffin in different capacities. They are football coaches paid to win football games and not guys trying to win popularity. When they don't win games fans obsess about their personal qualities, i.e. Majors' drinking, Fulmer's weight, Kiffin's philandering and so on. We might find Dooley's aw shucks quips endearing if he didn't lose to Kentucky or get blown out by all of our rivals.

Buddy Ryan was so hated by players and coaches almost everywhere he went. When they won ball games, it was all in good fun. When they lost, he was a cold, heartless jerk. Wins and losses are what it's about.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I don't have a problem with him being a [penis] or the players thinking he is "mean". The problem I do have, is that he doesn't seem the have the respect of the players.

8. TennTradition

So, a [Penis] who can't coach. Check.

9. TennTradition

That's my point. He just demeans them with no ability to build them up. That's why he is a [Penis]. Come here and let me shit on you because I'm pissed that I don't know how to make you better, although that is what I am paid to do.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a momma's boy that is use to getting whatever he wants. He thinks people should respect him because of his last name.

Jo, you're right in that most people would turn a blind eye to this if Tennessee were winning

11. WM

WM Active Member

Dooley is a good assistant, i think it's clear that Saban did value his contributions which had nothing to do with leading a successful SEC program.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So getting coffee and doughnuts for the coaches is something Dooley can't [uck fay] up?

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't think Dooley is a [Penis], but I'm not on the inside either. If the freshmen and sophomores hate him, it means a lot more than if the seniors do though. If it's just the latter, I'm really not bothered.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

TT, everything I've ever heard about Dooley points to your understanding being 100% correct.

The only people I've heard say otherwise know very little of Dooley and form opinions based entirely on the Southern boy image and First Tennessee Bank commercials.

15. WM

WM Active Member

Perfect hair and shower hygiene can take you far in life.

16. TennTradition

I just don't think you can win without the players respect. It seems to me that the players don't respect a guy who sets them up for failure and then trashes them for it. I don't blame them. I understand what you guys are saying...and I suppose its a thin line, but I just feel like I'm being sold a fake bill of goods and the players have already realized it.

17. TennTradition

The thing that really sucks about this type of argument is that without solid inside access, you really don't have the data points to make a definitive conclusion. He could be a fine leader who hasn't caught a single break. He could have a crazy read on this team and be delivering the type of hard love they need. I don't buy any of that, but its hard to prove that I'm not wrong. I'm afraid time will prove it....but that is what it is.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're more than 2 years in now, TT. The data points are getting to significant levels. There's a good chance this will all be over before October.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This is an aside and not directly pertaining to Dooley.

But have you ever had a teacher or professor that everyone in the class hated but you loved? Or conversely, a teacher you loathed but everyone liked? My mentor and the best educator I ever met was absolutely loathed by most of the students. But I believed in him and what he was saying. And I guess what I am saying is disliking/hating/loving someone can easily be a case of taste or preference and not very indicative of anything else. Once again, this isn't a commentary on Dooley... just an observation.

20. TennTradition

Definitely been in that situation...but I think that the teacher scenario is less applicable here. A boss scenario seems more applicable. I've been in organizations where some loved the boss, but most hated him. Organization wasn't very effective.

But, I agree, that it can certainly be a matter of perspective.