Drew Richmond

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Third and two. And then we missed the FG.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Can someone explain to me what the [uck fay] the RG is doing on this play? He gets to the second level with a quickness just so he can miss a block on the LB. Is his only responsibility on the play to get the LB? It seems like he could have put a hand on the end for a second to slow him down and still missed the block on the LB with the same effectiveness.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I assumed he meant the actual piece of equipment that gets drug across the ice. Pretty apt metaphor.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Inside gap.

If a lineman is there, get him. If not, go to next level. He did exactly what he is supposed to. At no point should a backside d end be able to get past our tackle to make that play.

I know it's easier to teach and all, but I've never cared for zone blocking. And we've never done it well, filmer, kiffin, Dooley, shithead, or Pruitt.

utvol0427 and A-Smith like this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Shithead managed to take a 4.4 star average OL and make them look below average in his first year. It’s been downhill ever since.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kiffin did it well

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

In that case, broom would indeed be the term.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I was just about to come in here and say that. Maybe because DR is expecting the G to help some so he's not thinking about it but man, if I ever got beat that bad, I'm headed for the hip. Of course I was a center so if I ever got beat that bad, I [uck fay]ed up bigly. But I don't understand why the G isn't giving him any help whatsoever. Drew Richmond has played for 3 years, whoever is the G there should know that his footwork is shit, just put a paw to the dude as you're working to the LB.

9. CardinalVol

He did it the best, but still not great. Also helped who his RB was.

Had another thought last night too. As bad as it had gotten in the trenches for what muffin had in 09, that group had at least been taught 10 times better than what friend inhherited this year. I'm not saying 09 had all americans or that they were elequently coached, just how poorly this groupvhas been coached for 5 years.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not sure Kiffin had the gauntlet we did this year or have 2 huge injuries. This sad OL would have looked better if not playing several top 10 teams in a few weeks.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yes, Kiffin inherited a line that had been coached by Fulmer and Brooks. Pruitt inherited one coached by Mahoney, Wells, and Trumpet Blower.

A-Smith likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Considering who our guards were while Kiffin was here, he was a magician.

We ran the hell out of IZ while he was here.

Butch honestly got a lot of mileage out of zone considering he didn't block or read the EMLOS.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Who was it that missed that block on the left side? Pretty pathetic attempt at a block. I doubt they are teaching the drop your head, roll, and block with your back technique.

14. Ssmiff

Sullins bros to me look more hard nose and aware than what we have. I dont recall constant whiffs or getting shoved 5 yards backwards as often.

Memtownvol likes this.
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The Sullins were a great story that should never have happened at Tennessee. That line was a low mark. This line is worse, but does it play all that much worse than any of the butch era o lines? Put a QB like JG in for the years with Dobbs, and you are getting a similar result to what we are seeing now. I don't mean that as a shot at JG so much, but Dobbs was able escape and make plays as well as most any quartback we've seen in years.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

I'll defer to those with more O line knowledge than me(NY, Card, Groves). My question is this, can he improve more under proper coaching or is he a lost cause?

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Former Vol and NFL offensive lineman Tim Irwin on Drew Richmond:

"I don't think they wash his uniform very much because I don't think he ever gets it dirty. I don't think he plays with a lot of effort and I don't think he's that gifted. He looks slow and methodical and I don't see a lot of fire in him. We were so excited when he came here and he hasn't panned out. I hate to call out an individual like that, but I think it's the truth in that case. I don't think he plays with a lot of emotion and a lot of fire. Maybe his ability is not as good as I thought it was when he came here. I thought we had our tackle problem solved when we got him."

Poppa T likes this.
  18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Whats bad is the LT, TE, and HB/TE actually drove that side of the line back 5 yards.

19. CardinalVol

At this point he's on my "get a degree and open up a scholarship" list.

Can't teach effort. IMO, that's his biggest problem.

20. Ssmiff

Richmond was rated highly due to his size and dominance over inferior and smaller players at DE in the small private division in Memphis. Said it when he was a jr in HS. Soft kids are as easy to pick out as hardnosed ones and easy to differentiate.