Ed Orgeron to LSU as DL coach

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorthGaVol, Jan 14, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he was a DC in name only though

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Doubt it.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, as has been said. This does nothing to address their strengths. DL play and recruiting have already been top notch. The margin for improvement there isn't that high.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Outside of the his last season at Clemson his resume is good.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Folks here have been down on Steele for awhile, though some wanted him over Sunseri (but duh).

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think that O is an excellent DLine coach, and his recruiting is even better than that.

It's a good hire from EdO's perspective, for sure. He's from there, they wanted him back when Kiffin brought him to Knox, etc. But, it just reeks of a sort of unspoken desperation to me - like Miles needed the "name" hire of Ed O.

But it reeks of Miles' status, real or imagined, on the Bayou, IMO. I think that he has far less support in Baton Rouge than most outsiders assume that he has. I think that's exactly why they offered Chavis that weird clause that he would only get paid for 6 months after Miles' left the program, and which ultimately, lead to him leaving for College Station. It's certainly not Les Miles who believes that he may not be at LSU in the foreseeable future.

And that also speaks to how a program like LSU just hired Kevin Steele as DC. Kevin Steele - good guy, lots of SEC ties, etc. - but it's been several years since he was considered at the top of his game. And he was ran out of Clemson. That's who Miles could land? Miles hiring Steele hits with nearly the same quizzical force as if I had heard that Nick Saban was hiring Hal Mumme as OC.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it all. It just doesn't seem to me that Miles is nearly as untouchable as some believe - and his salary suggests. Other than the one NC he won....with Saban's players...what has he done?

Just my $.02

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'll have to see their respective salaries before I make any judgments on that issue.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would say he was pretty well robbed of the NC in 2012. Or whatever the year the Bama rematch was. But I still appreciate your point.

9. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Robbed? If he played the right QB and followed the gameplan there's a decent chance he wins that game.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

With Orgeron and Tosh Lupoi in the sec, recruiting is as cutthroat as ever. Butch will need to hire another big recruiter

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Can lupio even go out on recruiting visits? He's good at playing Xbox

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

not if he's still an intern. With two losses on the defensive coaching staff, wouldn't be surprised to see him get a full time position.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm assuming he's not in a full position for a reason. Guy was making like $750k a year at Uw and was essentially asked to resign.

14. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Riddle me this -- if yawyaw was available and you were thinking of hiring him anyway, why wouldn't you offer HIM the DC position? Would he not be a more logical choice than Steele?

15. Tenacious D

He's an exceptional defensive coach (not just DL), for sure, but he is an all-world recruiter. I'm assuming that he's best utilized as a recruiting coordinator, and you don't want to tie him up with the duties of a DC.

From O's perspective, and as Hat alluded to earlier, it's the perfect setup. Because he's going to be free to recruit, where he'll answer directly to Miles, all while (likely) making more than Steele, the actual DC.

Your point is a good one, but Ed O is the anomaly.

16. Tenacious D

I think that Ed O actually made more than Monte Kiffin, when both were at TN, IIRC.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Already beat them at home. Shouldn't ever have to play a team that failed to win their conference, much less division, again in a non-playoff format postseason.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think so.

19. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

There was a picture floating around yesterday of him and Kiffin out on a recruiting trip. So he might getting a full time position

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I thought Monte was the highest paid assistant coach ever at the time.