Elon Musk-Approval for NY/DC/Philly/Balt Hyperloop

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Verbal approval given to build underground hyperloop tunnels. NY to DC in 29 minutes. Amazingly transformational.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/888053175155949572

Shout out to gbc. I know he's a huge fan of Musk. One of gbc's posts introduced me to hyperloop technology. Been hooked ever since.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Verbal government agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. That being said, hope it pans out.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Trump could do it in 14.5 minutes

4. JayVols

Musk is a serious dude. He'll see this through.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Really amazing how fast you can travel when you don't have to stop to use the restroom

6. JayVols

MAGA, biatches!

7. JayVols

I know, right?

My wife & daughters hate the wife's Prius on trips. I tend not to stop while on the road until I need gas. I sometimes give in to stop for food. The Prius can make it from the Tri-Cities area to Myrtle Beach, then drive around for a day or 2 before needing gas....They hate me, but their bladder capacities are improving under my extreme training.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are struggling to get to build the purple metro line in DC. Not sure how this will get through public comments.

9. JayVols

Were we able to fake the moon landing with this kind of negativity???

HELL, NO!

10. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Sounds neat but is probably a fantasy with the cost est per mile an as high as an astronomical $121M.

If he builds one from coast to coast I would consider riding it if the costs per ticket are reasonable.

Lots of ifs and all speculation until he actually builds it.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's certainly encouraging, Jay. I realize there is nothing binding at this point, but I'm excited at the apparent interest in the technology. Musk is a true innovator; we need more like him.

12. JayVols

People doubted Space X. Musk is making it work.

People doubted Tesla. Musk is making it work.

I hope the trend continues with hyperloop. Live in NY, commute to DC for work. That's crazy awesome.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The first car was super expensive too. First computer. First cell phone.

15. JayVols

The first VCR my family bought about kicked our asses. All we could afford to eat were soup beans and sand for 4 solid months.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Soup beans, macaroni & tomatoes, onions, fried potatoes and batter bread.

Was basically our supper 4 nights a week.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still love it too. Add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers during the summer and pickled beets in the winter

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The engineering gap does scare me between China and us. Hopefully we've not created an environment here that makes this kind of innovation tough to do

19. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Seeing as the big dig took 16 years to do 8 miles this seems pretty far fetched. One would think that the eminent domain cases, movement of existing utility infrastructure, and every other odd and end and study that needs to be done before a shovel hit the ground would take decades.

20. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Well not so much. They are producing 4 x the engineers but they are also 4x the size. Where we are screwing up is over the last 30+ years we have moved away from hiring entry level out of college and training them on the job. Instead companies only want to hire people with "experience" and many have abused the h1b visa program to lower wages. I believe I read where 70+ percent of STEM grads are working in unrelated fields.

Most Americans have a life outside of work and believe in family time. So when a foreigner come in for 2/3rd the salary and is willing to work 60-80 hrs the American loses out. They often give the foreigner OJT.

One thing I think could remedy this is requiring the H1B visa workers to be paid 1.1 or 1.2 x the average so as to raise wages. If they are truly more qualified they should be paid more.