Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday's price for a hamburger today. (Prices on hamburgers skyrocket between today and Tuesday).

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if I sell you 10 basketballs for $10 a piece today, but I don't own 10 basketballs, I'm borrowing said basketballs from someone else. Tomorrow the basketballs are worth $20. So either i have to come up with the $100 i lost and prove i have more than $100 just in case the basketballs get more expensive again, or buy 10 basketballs at whatever they cost.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I always wondered where you get the basketballs to sell that you don't have when you are shorting something.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you borrow them from someone who already owns them and you pay them interest to borrow usually

5. NorrisAlan

Ah, so in The Big Short, that is the monthly fees the short sellers are giving the banks?

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My co-worker bought some puts two days ago. Doubled his money so far.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's the way to do it. Way safer. But smaller gain.

8. TennTradition

Not necessarily smaller gain either (as a percentage). In this case he has made more than had he shorted.

Friends don’t let friends write options.

Buying is like walking into Vegas with a certain amount of money in your pocket. You’re going to take a gamble but your losses are capped. I’ve never written an option. Just don’t have the risk profile for it.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

either buy it or sell it. I’ve never gotten the “I don’t think it will go up much” theory

11. TennTradition

It’s sometimes better to own vol - but that depends. If you thought the run was almost over but wanted to cap losses if you were wrong, buying the outs was a good call. The vol would be worth more than owning the shorting the underlying outright.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

https://amp.rgj.com/amp/4755188002#...p/4755188002#referrer=https://www.google.com0

Don't really know how I feel about this one. Having dealt with OSHA in the past, I get some of the reasons why they may have done this. One company I used to work for used a small portion of political pressure to cut an (IMHO frivolous) inspection short one time in the middle of a push for union organization, but it was nothing like what is described in the article. I've never heard of something like this happening in the past. I'm torn.

One one hand, I'm glad to see someone bully OSHA, or at least a kind of OSHA (Nevada is like Tennessee in that they are a state plan state), around a bit. If you deal with many of their folks over time, you will eventually run into someone who is equally dimwitted and overbearing.

On the other, it sucks to see a company that is favored by the state get special treatment. I do not know how Nevada law specifically works with regard to denial of entry by an OSHA inspector, but someone at Tesla would be facing charges if this were to happen in a federal OSHA state. According to the federal regs, Nevada's OSHA is supposed to be on equal footing with the feds.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems to be going against the grain and calling the lockdowns stupid and fascist

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

With Elon you get the whole bag. Good and bad.

15. NorrisAlan

Musk going over the deep end?

Or he has a serious short position in Tesla and will bolt to Belize after the short.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Be went full freedom boner on the last investor call, per reports. Expletive-laced tirades at the continued lockdown.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Stayed on point on his recent interview on the joe Rogan show.

Said that deaths are being over reported as covid and the data needs an overhaul

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Elon says he’s thinking of pulling Tesla HQ out of California because they won’t let him re-open his plant.

For reference, Tesla employs some 37k Californians, paying each an average salary of $94k per annum.

This is a California state assembly woman, and a former Union organizer’s response, and Elon’s follow up:

upload_2020-5-11_13-7-22.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. TennTradition

I'd welcome them to Houston. Have a good friend that works at HQ in CA - would like to see a relocation. But I would think Tesla employees might feel differently.....haha.

A lot of former Californians having been moving into the Austin area. On the south/west side of Austin I swear 1/2 of the people moving in there are from CA.