Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Don't see how he doesn't lose the billion since he waived his due diligence rights. Would be really interesting if TWTR board sues to make him buy it. Billable hours are still undefeated.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Who could have seen this coming.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I was interested to see if he could turn that sinking ship around. Guess it was even worse than he thought. I doubt they have the money to really fight him if he wants to take this to the courts and drag it out.

4. juicemane

juicemane Member

Losing a billion to own the libs

The Dooz likes this.
  5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I wouldn't count on him paying that.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

At least he can pull out of something.

juicemane likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

100% disagree. He specifically talked about bots as he waived the due diligence. This was all on him no matter how one looks at it. Twitter will sue and money won't be a barrier.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Twitter doesn't have the funds he has to tie this up in court. My guess is he has a legal team that has advised him he can walk. I could be wrong though and he might stroke a billion dollar check and give Twitter life again.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

But stroke a check, you mean pay the penalty for violating the contract.

Why are you acting like Twitter is broke?

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Did I say they were broke?

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you have several billions, maybe it's worth it? It wouldn't be for me

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wonder if there were some pump and dump machinations here. He may have made that much or more by riding the price effects of his inquiry and acquisition moves.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

great way to end up in jail

zehr27 and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

In terms of scale seems like that would be hard to keep quiet. Regardless, in America people like Musk don’t go to jail. Seems like this is the post 2008 norm, though admittedly pre-2008 I was too young to be following such things.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    IP likes this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he’s an insider. They monitor his trades. Any brokerage firm letting him do those trades would be in trouble too. Hell even I’ve gotten a call about trades. People like him don’t generally risk going to jail because they already have billions

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  16. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

You think a billionaire can’t find a way? Of course it wouldn’t be able to be tied directly to him. I’m not saying I think he did that, merely that it’s plausible.

And gtfoh with billionaires don’t risk going to jail. They pillage as they please with little to no threat of going to jail ever. That is just willfully naïve.

IP likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Can they not seal their bot analysis? Seems like if businesses can't seal private data, lawsuits just to steal IP would be pretty common...

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think coverage for this is generates clicks and is getting out ahead of things. I think you are right. Let's see how this looks once the smoke clears.

Were I a judge, I would be keen to make sure I am not rewarding bad behavior.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Remember Elon wanted Twitter to save humanity. He explicitly said the economics don't matter - that's how important free speech was to him. Now he can't save humanity because he thinks there are too many bots (and the economics now matter), even though he could fix that once he took over to save us all.