Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Great. That's a personal belief.

2. fl0at_

Correct. He has to prove that in court. Twitter doesn't have to prove it. He has to. Which means Twitter has the upper hand, here. They've done everything reasonable.

3. fl0at_

The firm he hired, just as he will, will claim victory, even if he just has to pay 900 milion, instead of the full billion.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

k

zehr27 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it depends on how you count it. I am guessing they exclude banned bot accounts, but include all existing accounts that were not ever identified as a bot, even if no longer active. In other words, 5% of posts in a given period of time are originating from bots, excluding bots already detected whose posts were deleted. So while you and I can go and find a bot right now in any big news thread, those same accounts will be banned within the week and new ones come up. They are counting the new/active ones at a given time.

zehr27 and droski like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or is that every Wall Street analyst on twitter?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Typically they don’t do Twitter

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was just reflecting on our times.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I guess we will see. I find it all pretty interesting

10. fl0at_

Why would we see anything? Any settlement will be private. You said earlier you doubt it goes to court... now you think we'll see? Which is it?

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think I read they (Twitter) couches the 5% as out of total monetizable users. As a bot isn't monetizable, 5% could be an overestimation. Probably some weird semantics game. But as Elon didn't see the need to do research before the bid and waived his right to that research means it's all academic.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The outcome of this will be known. Come on man.

13. fl0at_

The outcome is already known. Musk won't buy Twitter. Musk is going to pay some amount to Twitter.

The amount will not be known, unless it's court ordered.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Ok

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t see Twitter wanting to take this to court. Will drag on for about 5 years and cost them a shit ton in legal fees with the potential for more damaging information coming to light.

I think he either walks clean or gets a better deal.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This can't happen. See above post.

17. fl0at_

Why would Twitter walk from a billion dollars, handed to them, in a contract, where due diligence was waived? They don't have to prove anything. He does.

18. fl0at_

Nobody thinks share holders would have a lawsuit against Twitter if they just walked from a billion dollars?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess it won't affect us anyway

20. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

He has nearly unlimited resources, obviously in theory it wouldn’t be his shares.

On the second part, that is just willfully naive. I don’t think rich people are evil for evils sake, I think they are (sometimes) evil for the sake of money. Sometimes the character traits that allow you to become super rich are the same traits that would lead you to irrationally risk it for incremental money that is not material to what you’ve already got. And even still, at that point frequently you have the power to insulate yourself from the consequences of easily proven crimes.