Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Uh if it isn’t his shares how is he selling his position?

we know how he made his money. He’s not in the mob. Taking risk with money is not the same thing as taking the risk of going to jail. The financial crimes you see are people who can’t make that kind of money legally. See madoff. Not people who are already rich legally trying to get that extra billion. Again it’s a risk reward situation. You’d have to be a psychopath to risk jail to get from $100 billion to $200 billion

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Again, I’m not arguing that it’s true of Musk, merely that he has the resources and the behavior is common among the super rich.

And also, again, these people don’t really go to jail. They buy/influence their way out of consequences.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

can you give some examples of this common behavior and people who have bought their way out of securities fraud?

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Isn't your own classical example the Clintons?

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Droski has said they bought themselves out of securities fraud?

6. fl0at_

Droski has enough evidence from past posts to conclude this, yes.

I feel like you are trying some sophomoric argument that only those who are charged can be talked about. It's sophomoric because I could say something like: "Nobody gets away with mass murder." And then point to all the convicted mass murderers. Such an argument ignores the ones that were never caught.

If you believe someone has committed fraud, and not charged, then it's fair game to use them as an example of someone who, some how, through corruption, manipulation or sheer luck, avoided prosecution. I've not seen anyone here say the Clintons were just lucky... So yea.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Would it possibly be easier to bribe your way out of traffic ticket vs murder?

8. fl0at_

What is the purpose of this question? It seems like a dumb question, with no relevance, to me, so perhaps you can help me figure it out.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes hillary should have been charged with securities fraud. she didn't buy her way out of it rather than political influence. that's a sort of example from what 30 years ago? surely we can come up with a ton if it happens all the time now.

i'm asking for examples of super rich people people who have committed fraud and not been charged. i'm not asking for those who have been charged.

10. fl0at_

Political influence is buying your way out. Are you trying to narrow this down to buying means cash only? That's dumb.

You've also used Buffet before as also having taken part in insider trading. So let's include his entire inner circle, since it's unlikely he went it alone.

11. fl0at_

Those folks in Congress traded on COVID knowledge, just a few years ago.

I mean, I don't know the names of many fairly wealthy and power people and we've already got 4-5 examples...

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if we have one example in 30 years i'm going with this not being a problem.

i never said buffett has done insider trading.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so politicians get away with it. still havent' heard any super rich examples

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Droski sounds like OJ vowing to find the real killer

SetVol13, The Dooz and fl0at_ like this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you arent' making a lot of sense. the whole premise here is the super rich, not moderately rich politicians, get away with breaking securities law and we have yet to have gotten one example.

16. fl0at_

Lol. Let me get this straight, the requirement here is: billionaire, not in the last 30 years, not politicians, paid straight cash to keep it hush?

Well jeez, I guess all 5 of those people in the country are evidence this is impossible.

What a brilliant mind you are.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how about anyone who isn’t a politician?

we are still talking about a handful of people. Hardly the epidemic suggested

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is all I have said on this matter. I can't name people who don't get caught. That's a key part of not getting caught

19. fl0at_

There is only a handful of them to begin with, so a handful of examples is a large amount.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the body still would be dead