Everyone shouldn't get a trophy: This guy gets it.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ask them to hire everyone that interviews as you are all very sensitive.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'll tell them they can count on a call from my momma.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Call to the school or to local talk radio?

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm a big believer in earning things. Those that earn what they get usually take more pride in what they have. In a team concept, that's huge.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's insane. I'm trying hard to think of an area that hasn't improved in 40 years and coming up blank. Maybe literature or visual arts? That's all I've got, and it's probably because I don't know much about the latest developments in literature or visual arts.

I was really arguing more with the point I heard McCullough (Sr) trying to make than directly with you, which is a bit unfair.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have some friends who work for public schools and here they actually hire someone to go around with said students. but i'm not ust talking about handicapted students. My friend once wondered why one kid had someone going around with him since he looked normal and she later found out the kid stabbed a sibling and apparently tehy got him on the disabled list..

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Both. She gets riled up when Precious doesn't get his way.

8. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I blame utube

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but it's not as though every generation started at square one. they all inherited the knowledge from the prior generation. progress is natural. as i said before every generation has [itch bay]ed about the next one. so i guess the question is are we turning all our kids into [ussies pay] and if we are does it matter?

10. CardinalVol

Do her parents want her in regular classes?

I ask that because one of my wife's friends is a teacher, and she has told us before that a lot of parents who have special ed/special needs kids are just flat out in denial about the situation and want to pretend their kid is "normal" (I use that relatively), and that is why they are in regular classrooms.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The speaker was talking about actual innovations, not improvement upon innovations. I.e... refrigerators didn't exist and then they did. Most all of the innovations we use today were invented between the 1900s-1950s. We've made things quicker and more efficient, but not invented many things one may consider revolutionary, outside of some important techie things. Transportation alone is a glaring case of minor improvements on things invented many many years ago.

Here's a quick example: Life expectancy jumped from 59 years of age to 69 years of age from 1930-1960 (30 years). From 1960-2010 (50 years), it went from 69 years to 77. Improvements, and an upward trajectory, but not the serious change we saw from the Depression through the 1950s.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no question about it. my wife regurally has parents that want their kids in AP and honors classes who are barely passing the regular classes. if you know any parents with autistic kids they are almost all in denile. in reality they are doing the kids no favors. the kids know they are different. telling them they are not isn't helping anything (not that i'm suggesting full honesty either).

13. CardinalVol

In same ways this goes back to the example of if a guy is hitting .350, can you be upset with him if he only improves to batting .352 the next year?

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'll echo the sentiments that Jay brought to the table. There is a terrible disservice being done to Special Needs children everywhere. Of course this is because rules and regulations are being passed by politicians who don't have the first clue about what a classroom is like.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Kick him off the team.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It takes teh same amount of time to fly from NY to LA as it did 40 years ago, but i'd argue the internet and the advances in cell phones are rather huge innovations. advances in medicine even in the past 10 years have been signficant. just think about how many hospital procedures that are now outpatient that were once major operations.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No doubt about it. But why don't we have flying cars a la Total Recall. That's what I want droski!

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Rememberer when the Segue was suppose to be the most innovative creation of the century?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A pretty high percentage of folk are too dumb for grounded cars. It'd be carnage if your average jackass had access to an airborne vehicle.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know what you're talking about but I haven't walked anywhere in six years.