POLITICS Fake News

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You don't take anything about me seriously but then choose to take that post seriously? Come on, man.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think you are very much minimizing the majority of complaints, while simultaneously maximizing the minority of complaints.

But, let's look at it another way. For Trump, everything is the best, the greatest, the biggest, etc.

But if everything is the best, the greatest, the biggest, etc... then nothing is. And if nothing is... then there ya go.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably fine then. Cure away.

4. fl0at_

Shame! Shame! Shame!

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would handle that naked stroll to the Red Keep way better than Cersei.

6. fl0at_

If she had kind of jogged in place, I feel like she would have gotten more of the male sympathy vote.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not asking for a policy briefing, I am just curious what specifically it is about it that you like. My understanding is that it was a useful and ultimately necessary thing to move the elements that comprise "Space Force" out of the Air Force. But I am curious why you think this is his biggest accomplishment, turning US Air Force Space Command into Space Command that also existed from 1985 to 2002, and making it an independent branch. I'm not seeing why this is a big accomplishment.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know how to make it any more clear, other than to just say "That post was not meant to be taken seriously."

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can you define what you feel falls into "the majority of complaints" vs. what you feel falls into "the minority of complaints?" Maybe provide some examples? I'm sitting here thinking about how one of his latest actions - taking down Soleimani - was going to lead to WWIII and that we needed to prepare for a draft. I'm not saying there were no negatives to his action, but the positives of it were essentially ignored, and the negatives of it were blown WAAYYYY out of proportion.

I don't agree with Trump's language, but he's also not a newscaster. Most people are smart enough to distinguish between the two and realize that Trump's goal is re-election. Of course he's going to tell you that what he's doing is great.

What's the goal of the newscaster? I was always under the impression that his or her goal should be to deliver the news.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

okay.

So what do you think his biggest accomplishment seriously is? what is something you think is being overlooked or not being credited for by his most vocal critics? you said some people would criticize him if he cured cancer, so I am trying to get a sense of which things you think are being ignored.

I'll help: his prison reform bill was good, though I think just a start. but he had a lot of help and it had broad bipartisan support (more from the left perhaps, even).

what else?

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think you are looking at it from the same angle as Indy. He isn't claiming he is inadequately praised, just unfairly criticized. So a better way to look at it would be what can he do that won't draw fire? Just the other day he tweeted condolences for Kobe and the other victims of the crash and got shredded immediately (racist, idiot for getting the number of passengers in the helicopter wrong even though everybody else was also wrong initially, etc.). You could argue he brought it on himself or whatever, but at this point he and a good portion of the nation are completely estranged and in their eyes there is pretty much nothing positive or even neutral that he can accomplish.

Indy likes this.
  12. fl0at_

Trump is not a news caster, he is the President. His job is not re-election. His job is President. If he does good enough as President, he need not worry about re-election. It'll follow naturally.

What is news? For some reason, people seem to think this means facts. I have no idea why. Facts are facts. News are "goings on," and the job of the "newscaster" is to "cast the goings on." The more wide the cast, the better the caster. Think fishing.

People thinking WWIII is going to happen is a going on. People thinking WWIII ISN'T going to happen is simultaneously a going on. Casting one or the other or both is also a casting.

What is difficult to understand about this? Is it because all your life you bought the marketing that "news" equals "truth?"

The legitimate criticisms about Trump are his mannerisms, his professionalism, the way he carries the office, doesn't let any slight pass, and doesn't treat the office as being bigger than himself, because nothing is bigger than himself.

And when people point out that these are the criticisms of Trump, and the people he has hired, and the people he has fired, suddenly it becomes "everything is criticized."

Yea, man, if you track mud through my house every day, I'm going to not like how you are out there rescuing dogs from a mudslide.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The prison reform bill is great, but as you mentioned, it had wide bipartisan support to begin with. A solid accomplishment and step in the right direction, but not totally Trump's accomplishment to claim.

I don't know that I'd pick a single accomplishment as his best.

I like that he has recognized China as a threat and taken steps to keep that threat under control. I don't think he's hit it out of the park or anything, but I'm not sure a way to hit it out of the park even exists. I do believe he has taken steps in the right direction, but he was criticized a ton for how he handled it.

I've liked the hard stance he's taken against Iran, and the consistency he's maintained. Taking down the terrorist we all agree was a terrorist was good, and I think taking down the terrorist some of us claim isn't a terrorist was good as well. The former led to DogGate, which was so stupid. The latter obviously came with more strings attached, though I'd say nothing much came of that, considering the media was suggesting WWIII and a draft were upon us.

There's obviously the unemployment rate and the economy, though I know you'd argue those things aren't what they seem or aren't all on Trump. I can agree with that, to an extent.

I think for me, the bottom line is that he seems to be doing, or at least trying to do, what he said he would do when he ran.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is a fair assessment of how I see the situation.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

well, prison reform didn't get criticized widely or shredded, the general reaction was positive.

I think there is broad support to address pharmaceutical costs, when he has publicly contemplated doing so.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If he does well as President, half the country won't know about it because their news source will paint it in a negative light, regardless.

My understanding of what news should be is a presentation of the facts that allows you to read/listen and then draw your own conclusions. I think that's what most intelligent, rational people want. You can say that news has never been that, but I'd argue that it's not a black and white thing. If straight facts is the left side of the spectrum and opinions/beliefs are the right side of the spectrum, then news has progressed more and more to the right side of the spectrum over the last however many years.

I agree that you can legitimately criticize Trump's mannerisms, professionalism, the way he carries the office, etc. etc. etc. I don't think I've mentioned a single one of those things when pointing out multiple instances of what I felt were unfair criticisms in this thread. Those are some of the reasons that I don't support (vote for) him. But they are not thing things that push to "everything is criticized." It's the Kobe tweet KPT mentioned. It's the WWII/draft stuff after he killed Soleimani. It's the collective freak out after he retweets a fake image of himself giving a medal to a dog as a joke.

17. fl0at_

You still aren't getting it. Individual actions of his are the minor things. The laws passed, the governance done, the people killed... not going to matter. How the office is carried is a much, much larger issue. The rest are fleeting. And you look at it completely the opposite, as if the things that are important, the things that can be undone in a single different presidency... are some how the important, major things. I don't get it.

Your understanding of what news should be is not an understanding, it is a desire. I'm telling you what the news is. You can say it hasn't always been that way. It has. You can say it should be truth. It isn't, and never has been. Straight facts has never been the purpose of news, that's why newspapers (the old news) used to have COLUMNS, not BULLET POINTS.

Nothing has progressed, except your idealistic idea of what something (that is a multi-multi-multi billion dollar industry) should be... but oh by the way, if it were that... it wouldn't be a multi, multi, multi billion dollar industry. So why exactly do you think it should operate like that?

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think it’s anything new at all, and easily goes back to the Spanish American war.

They’re just now getting fact checked at live speed now. It’s not Republican vs democratic. It’s establishment vs outsider.

The DNC doesn’t own the media. The media owns the DNC. Look at how the media treats Tulsi, Yang, and Bernie. I think that’s what’s opening so many eyes.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd bet a gajillion dollars if you find some of his tweets about prison reform there are quite a few replies with people losing their minds.

There was that infamous androgynous human at his swearing in that was already screaming.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

same could be said for any major political figure.