Fallout 4 Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by govols182, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I like Xbone. If you have a 360 and a bunch of old games for it, I'd say stick to Xbox. Backwards compatibility and such.

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Xbox one. Sony has been getting a ton of bad press recently.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Just realized Diamond City is in Fenway.

4. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I say PS4 but that's just me. I may get an XBone someday myself because they do have some games I'm interested in that's XBox only. And I know Fallout 4 will have mods come out on XBox One for sure with support by Microsoft. I know PS4 is supposed to get some mods also but not sure how it will work.

Fallout is like crack. I don't play games that much anymore with my work schedule and my kids but I've made time to play this game almost every night since last Tuesday. Now that I've mastered the caps glitch it's made it even better. I know it's cheating but with my limited time playing this helps speed things along and makes it more fun for me. There are so many epic random encounters I've had already in game and I've not put nearly the amount of hours in I would like to. Just so many cool little nods to random things here and there also. I definitely wasn't ready for one thing near a pond. I've probably only completed 3 or 4 main storyline quests. I've spent the rest of the time doing side quests and just exploring.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I finally went back and completed New Vegas, so I'm ready for the new one.

I didn't do any of the DLC for New Vegas, and don't think I will. The game just didn't encourage exploration to me like 3. By the time I reached the final battle, I had every weapon and armor I could hope for, plus 100k on top of that. Maybe I should have played on hardcore mode. It just seemed much easier to progress through the story in this one than in 3. I'm hoping 4 will feel like more of the struggle that a post apocalyptic world should feel like.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I couldn't get into the New Vegas story at all. How is the story on 4 thus far?

7. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I literally have done like 2 or 3 main storyline quests. I am finding all of the side quests that I'm doing very fun though. Trying to establish all of these settlements as a member of the MinuteMen is taking up a good deal of my time. I also like when I get new settlers into my settlements I can give them armor and equip them with good guns.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's good to get some use out of those guns and armor. In Fallout 3 I had a preposterously huge stockpile of weapons and armor.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And vendors never have enough caps to buy them from you. Cool idea for how to put that stuff to use.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Any advice on what to focus on for character building?

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I really think it depends on how you want to play. I had my strength like a 3 or 4. I had basically no agility points either when I first started. I put several points into Luck, Charisma, and Intelligence. I wanted Charisma to talk people into things with dialogue and Intelligence to hack and extra luck for better loot. But since I discovered that cap glitch Luck really isn't that important. Of course I'm cheating so if you weren't cheating I would recommend several points into Luck. I know that my Endurance and Agility were basically at the bottom when I started out. You can level up pretty quickly so put your level ups in the right places. I know that I spent early points on added Hacking and Lockpicking.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you see yourself playing, Indy? You going to want to craft? Sneak? Melee? Be silver_tongued? You kinda want to major in one thing and minor in another

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Gotta make sure that you have hacking and lock picking. Being able to pick locks early on helps with finding weapons, caps, etc. Hacking makes life easier when you are able to get into computers and disable turrets.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gun nut is a lot of fun.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I am a stealth assassin sniper major with a minor in settlement building. I have and will continue to struggle until I reach a high enough level for gun nut 2 and can put some suppressors on my weapons.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cool. I try to avoid that in Bethesda games, because I feel like I've had so many "sneak archers" and "snipers" in their games. I'm going with a high charisma player. Trying to be a good guy, but I keep accidentally doing naughty things because the options given don't really indicate they are bad.

I've accidentally done the following: extorted, mocked a scientist trying to help me, slept with a lounge singer, and sent a settler to their certain death. Totally on accident. It's my biggest gripe with this game: give more indication of what the speaking options do/will mean.

Another example of that gripe is that in conversations, I like to give the npc's all the details to see what they say. In this game, sometimes a particular detail immediately moves the conversation along before I can tell them the whole story... and yet they mysteriously/psychically know all the details I never told them later. Annoying.

17. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

This may, quite literally, be the best game I have played in the past decade. I thought Fallout 3 was deep.....I am about 30 hours into Fallout 4 and still don't think I'm anywhere close to beating the story.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Make great use of the upgraded quick save feature. I'll use it in the middle of conversations if I'm worried about not hitting the right speech check. It's a wonderful feature.

The combat still bothers me quite a bit. People get to move at me while I'm in VATS, yet the percentages for hits rarely increase as they move closer. That's just stupid. Also, it's way too easy to get caught on stuff while walking backwards. I've gotten caught on trees while retreating from ghouls multiple times. It's unrealistic to make it that easy to get caught on stuff in a game where you can't really look behind you while backing up as easy as you could in real life.

The settlements are a blast. I've gotten frustrated a few times with how poorly they explain some things, but figuring stuff out on my own has often felt very rewarding. I just built my first two story living structure a little while ago. I wanted to see if I could add a third floor, though I'm not sure if it's possible. If it is... oh man. I see skyscrapers in my future. It will even let you hang floorboards off the base structure once you move up a floor and then build walls around them. At some point, I'd like to build a structure at the gas station settlement that surrounds the water source in the middle and go over the water source with the second or third floor. That would be an awesome structure.

I still haven't figured out what some of the electric stuff even does. Also, I'm not even a high enough level to use the shops yet, but I'm sure that will take some learning. It took me a while to figure out how to command settlers to do things and to link my settlement supplies. Still, overall the settlement building has been an amazing new feature!

It's definitely beginning to rival Witcher 3 for my game of the year vote, and that was one of the best games i had played in ages.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

When is it time to swallow your pride and run away from your enemy? When that enemy takes two mino nukes to the chest and is still coming after you. That's when.

20. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Keep that tactic in mind if you ever come across The Swan in the Boston Common area. I'm not sure two mini nukes would even get his damage down to half.