Farm subsidies are necessary, but broken:

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 9, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Got to BBQ goat. Dominican Republic style. Good eating.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Under the old allotment system, the going scam was to procure a large allotment(s) of tobacco, take out insurance on the whole, plant the whole, but only do what's needed to have a successful crop on a part. File an insurance claim for the rest & never have to work it.

Example:
    Get 80 acres of allotments. Raise plants for all. Plant all. Only fertilize, sucker & spray a portion. Sell the good part. Collect insurance money on the other & not have to spend the time/money on materials & labor.

Of course, you still have to buy the fertilizer & chemicals for all or you get caught. You just buy for other people & sell to them at a discounted price & it looks like you "tried" to raise all 80 acres.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Love me some Tolkien.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

We shouldn't even be subsidizing non-food crops at all.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

How about a subsidy for weed? Colorado offering that yet?

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I remember my dad caught a wild hair and grew soybeans one year when I was a kid on one small area of ours. Don't remember why.

7. NorrisAlan

[video=youtube;cKdSzoOuzlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdSzoOuzlk[/video]

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, was "non-food" ambiguous somehow? No, no subsidy for weed either.

I have no idea if it is being subsidized here. I doubt it. The feds obviously won't, and CO is taxing the hell out of it so I don't think it would be subsidized.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because it is in the Legumaceae family and has nitrogen-fixing bacteria in it's root nodules that improve the soil. It is common to add a member of that family into a crop rotation to improve the soil, though clay-rich soils are not great for them. The further west in the state you are, the more likely that it would be a good idea. He was probably checking to see how it would do and if it made a difference for whatever he grew there the next year. If the soil wasn't loamy, it probably wasn't worth pursuing for the whole property.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My folks have grown and sold them for years

11. CardinalVol

Maybe. I don't know or remember. Except we NEVER used that field for anything. Ever. We grew hay and had 3-ish head of cattle.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you ever have trouble with the hay/grazing being thin?

13. CardinalVol

Nope.

My guess is someone convinced him to try it, it ended up not being worth it, so he never did it again. He farmed as a hobby.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Must be.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Did he deer hunt?

16. CardinalVol

Not in my lifetime. A ton before I came along though.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Brownie ingredient maybe...

18. NorrisAlan

[video=youtube;ACF4XDznGEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACF4XDznGEs[/video]

19. JayVols

Tell that to an old-timey tobacco farmer and see what happens...:)

Subsidies for corn ethanol are one of the most egregious examples of crony capitalism. Not only does that stuff do a number on engines, carburetors &/or injector systems (particularly when the fuel sits for extended periods) but it also is grossly inefficient given the massive amount of energy needed to convert it compared to the energy output of the final product. And that's not even talking about the huge price inflation for food products (for humans & livestock) made from corn due to removing it from the food supply or the unhealthiness of high fructose corn syrup.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  20. JayVols

Bet it could do wonders for my prime riverbottom land.