FBI Comey: Absolute Privacy Does Not Exist in US

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Perhaps better questions are:
    Should it exist?
    When did it cease to exist?
    Why can't it exist?
    How could we ever be sure that it has ever existed, or would be maintained, even if required, and at all times?

Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...james-comey-no-absolute-privacy-a7619621.html

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Absolute privacy cannot exist, unless you completely cut off all electricity to your house, all running water to your house, stop using any kind of credit card or debit card, get rid of your bank account, etc.

It has never existed. We have a census, you are required to fill out that census.

That said, we should expect a decent amount of privacy in that any information collected should be used in a lawful manner in accordance with the 4th Amendment.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You left out the part where he explained that no one is free from judicial reach. That's kinda his central point in all that.

[youtube]rofrzWVzJrA[/youtube]

That's not a big brother/boogeyman statement.

I want to know what exactly prompted him to do this bit of explaining. Is he paving the way for something? Or is he just trying to scare everyone with his Deep Statism?

4. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Vault 7 leaks along with spying on the Trump campaign and then administration.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The Constitution does not explicitly mention any right of privacy. In a line of decisions, however, going back perhaps as far as Union Pacific R. Co. v. Botsford, 141 U.S. 250, 251 (1891), the Court has recognized that a right of personal privacy, or a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy, does exist under the Constitution.

Anybody wanna guess in which case that holding can be found?

6. JayVols

No clue, but you have me interested.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did we have I in the cold war? Is it something that has been intermittent as tech advanced and intelligence adapted?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wear a bathing suit in the shower.

9. JayVols

You too?

You wear sunglasses at night? If so, TWINSIES!

10. JayVols

A good question is when did the security over privacy issue as we know it today start?

11. cotton

12. JayVols

Thanks. I don't do legalese very well, but does this bottom line it? Just making sure I understand.

If so, what is your view on Comey's statement? If you'd rather not say, I understand. I just respect your view on these matters.

13. cotton

It is my view that the Court manufactured a right to privacy in Roe specifically so that it could do this:

We, therefore, conclude that the right of personal privacy includes the abortion decision, but that this right is not unqualified and must be considered against important state interests in regulation.

However, when the Supreme Court manufactures a right, it becomes a right until the Supreme Court changes it. Comey, on the other hand, has no ability to determine where rights begin or end. He's executive branch enforcement, not law creating legislature or law interpreting judiciary (despite what I just cited in Roe.) So he doesn't get to determine whether "reasonable" or "absolute" privacy is a right or whether it has been illegally infringed.

So I think he's wrong, but more importantly, I don't think what he thinks is any more important than what I think. We both are supposed to have to live within the law, not decide what it is.

14. JayVols

Got it.

So, if and I mean IF a court makes the determination for Comey or anyone else, that's kosher?

15. JayVols

But having the ability to spy, for lack of a better term, doesn't equate to actually spying.

16. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

People who don't understand how technology works, and how encryption protects everyone on the internet, need to go jump off the deep end of the pool with cement shoes. If the government takes encryption away, you might as well shut down the internet, phones, and the IoT. I would cease to use any of t he previously mentioned tech, if this happened.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait. Why does my grandma need to kill herself, again?

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You mean now, or before your parents were born?

19. JayVols

Brrrrr. It's cold up in here.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Damn.