Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It took me a few trips actually trying to catch them before I got my first one while actually trying.

Fl0at- they are tough to get. They are picky. Depth, temperature, light, bottom configuration, and speed are all critical when trolling. I was lucky. A family member is a master at finding the elusive buggers, and he passed his knowledge to me.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Middle and West Tennessee doesn't really have any "good" walleye bites. Old Hickory can get them going but they are way to finicky for me. I don't know if I can afford another hobby either.

Put me on crappie or flipping for bass and I'm a happy man.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Welp, it is clear that they ain't no crappie.

All you need for crappie is a millsead pond, a case of beer, a john boat, broken paddle, .22 LR, 18" of line, 2 jigs, running water and a can of OFF.

You sink the boat in the pond, drink the beer, shoot the snakes, catch two fish and walk home...

4. JayVols

If you ever make it to the Tri-Cities area in the summer, give me a shout. I will put you on some wallies.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Will do

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I've accidentally caught a few walleyes at Holston and Watauga (I believe at Watauga). I prefer bass and cat myself. There's some good fishing here for bass on Ft Bragg, but there all kinda small. My father also now has a stocked pond where my family has moved to VA that's full of bass. Little bitty guys, but when they're biting it's hard to not cast in and catch something with a greenish colored plastic. Supposed to be a lake here that's great for cat, but I've been skunked both times I went last year.

7. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

Walleye is good eating....I've been up to the boundary waters a couple times to fish smallies and walleye...also the occasional northern. I'm planning a trip back up there the first week of June next summer. I'll have to stop in here often...I have many fishing stories to share.

8. JayVols

That would be a great trip. I've always wanted to catch a pike and a muskie.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A pike is a glorified gar imo. I've caught a few and you can't really eat them (from what I was told) and they are a pain in the ass to get off.

I would love to catch a muskie.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Leatherman tool. Only way I've ever been able to unhook a pike. You'll pull tissue, but it doesn't seem to really phase them as bad as it would if a bass swallowed and you had to pull it out.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes.

I've caught a few long nose gar and broke their damn snout off trying to get the hook out.

12. JayVols

Had no idea you molested fish....

13. JayVols

I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. Good to see you again. Hope you get a Civil War deal going although not sure what we could hash out that hasn't already been commented on. Feel free to discuss red drum fishing here. I was possibly going to Hatteras over fall break, but the hurricane slicing the island in two in various places will probably discourage the trip.

14. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

I've had pike and they aren't that bad....of course it helps to know how to cook and season them. I do prefer walleye and bass however.

15. WM

WM Active Member

Just bought a ice auger and this bad ass
    [​IMG]

16. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

I fish with a Charlie Brewer slider rod....I won't fish with anything else unless I'm fly fishing.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was a misplaced Southerner in New York and I didn't really have a clue what I was doing.

Sauger and crappie are the best eating fish imo.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Carpal tunnel

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

20. WM

WM Active Member

A mod needs to clean this shit up.